chapter 21

I spent the past fifteen minutes sitting on the sofa in my apartment and staring at the piece of paper in my hands. My brown hair was wet from the shower I took earlier, there was a distant expression in my narrowed eyes and my features were distorted in a frown. My favourite white blouse and blue jeans were waiting on my bed and I was supposed to be getting ready for a very important date, but I was lost in my thoughts. There were some things that were bothering me and I couldn't stop thinking about them. 

First it was the museum ticket in my hand. It was the one that was found in Kwan Taeshik's wallet after he had a car accident and ran away. My team managed to figure out the meaning behind everything but that and something was telling me that it was important and we shouldn't just forget about it. 

Sehun said leaving that museum ticket in his wallet was just another way for Taeshik to play with our heads and I could only hope that I was just being too paranoid. He was trying to convince me that it was the lack of sleep that was starting to get in to my head. Yesterday I almost went crazy when I came back to my apartment and tried to rest because every time I closed my eyes I relived the memory of the old weapon maker that was rotting in jail now and his words kept endlessly echoing in my head. 

Kwan Taeshik told him that another player joined his game and I was scared.

My eyes moved from the museum ticket in my hand and travelled to the phone on the coffee table. I've been debating doing something ever since yesterday and I finally decided to step on my pride and do it. I reached out with my hand, grabbed my phone and typed in a number that I called only in truly desperate times.

'' M-Mother? Hi. It's me... Your daughter, '' I nervously began, took a deep breath and tried to calm my racing heart. My mother couldn't hide her shock when she heard my voice on the other side of the phone. She was always the one who called me first and tried to start a meaningless conversation and I was the one that shut her down and quickly hung up. It was never the other way around, so I could understand why she was surprised and worried. '' How are you? ''

She was quiet for a few moments and I could hear that I interrupted her in the middle of something. '' Hajin-ah? Why are you calling me? Is something wrong? You're scaring me. ''

I didn't want to tell her that I was worried something might happen to her, so instead I continued: '' I just... I wanted to hear your voice and ask you how you're doing? How is life? Everything okay? ''

'' You're acting really strange, Hajin-ah. Tell me what's wrong and why you're calling me. You never call me so it must be something serious, '' mother answered and cursed under her breath. I heard something fall from her closet and felt my lips curve in a smile. '' I'm getting ready to go somewhere, but I have some time to chat. ''

'' I... '' I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. '' I'm going on a date tonight. ''

I nearly threw my phone to the other side of the room when my mother shrilled on the other side of the line. I shivered, my features distorted in a cringe and I quickly snapped: '' Can you stop screaming? You seriously need to chill, it's not like I told you that I am pregnant or something like that. '' 

'' It's the Baekhyun boy, isn't it? Please, tell me it's him! '' she happily asked, squealing and giggling like crazy. '' You certainly took a long time to get him to fall for you. Did you seriously not learn anything from me? ''

'' Mom, I- '' I began, but she quickly interrupted me.

'' Where are you two going? Is he taking you on a nice dinner? '' she eagerly asked. She sounded so excited like she was the one going on the date instead of me. '' I hope you are going to get ready and not wear that white shirt you think is cool and classy when it's actually one of the most horrid pieces of clothing that I have ever seen. I told you countless times already that your sense of style is really bad, but you don't want to go shopping with me. You would look so pretty if you would let me give you a makeover! ''