Cold Coffee

Enduring the sticky car ride was the worst, with the rush hour making the streets congested with angry, hungry drivers who were on edge. Laura felt her body getting disgusting with all the sugar and her white shirt being completely stained. She cursed all the way til she got in the shower and washed the sticky mess out of her hair and clothes. A hot shower always seemed to cure everything, she ran her fingers through her hair and her stomach reminded her that it was still empty. It was now 1:30 in the afternoon, the time passed very quickly and she wrapped a towel around herself and walked out to the kitchen, observing it as if it was a menu. She thought of a turkey sandwich and proceeded to make it. She took a bite and went to the fridge for a drink. There was a couple bottles of beer. Cans of ECola and two diet ones that probably were stashed here by Mary Ann. She took a normal can of cola to wash down the sandwich with. After eating she put on a stained oversized shirt that belonged to her ex which she now used as a paint shield. She did despise him but she saw no reason hating a shirt.

She thought of painting something, the mere thought made her happy but first she finished her food first to calm her starving stomach. It always took a long time when painting, she had took it as a hobby and developed it well as the days went by. She loved painting the sky, the different shades of blue, red and orange on the times of the day. She remained in her studio for a long time, and had finished half her painting. She looked at the time and saw that it was getting dark outside but was thankful that she turned on the lights earlier. Exhausted, she put her hand on her forehead to examine it. So far so good, she thought and headed upstairs, turning on the lights and finally falling down on the couch. It was too late when she realised some paint stains from the shirt were now on the red leather, she cursed under her breath. Today was not her day.

***

Yoga was a waste of time, she thought as she looked at Fabien's website again while sitting outside a Bean Machine. Besides, that man looked like a sleaze. The website had pictures of him doing yoga with women in such inappropriate ways. Sometimes she wondered if she was the only one in LS that actually owned a pair of eyes to see that this person was too grabby in the name of yoga. She sipped some of her coffee as she put down the phone and let out a sigh, she still had to fire Mary Ann for obvious reasons and had to call her mom and get some groceries but for now she would enjoy the coffee she didn't get yesterday.

A man stepped out of the store, now carrying a fresh cup of coffee. Laura looked up and saw it was the same man from yesterday. He once again had shorts and a polo shirt on and his hair looked wet.

"You swam up all the way here, cowboy?" She said lightheartedly.

"Yeah who needs walking when you can swim in the streets?" He replied sarcastically but glanced back to her.

"Hey, you're.."

"Yeah, I am" she shrugged lightly and put her phone aside.

"Hey, I'm sorry about yesterday. My son is just... impulsive"

"Perhaps he gets it from his father"

"Oh, his father wasn't as unproductive as this boy is. His father didn't sit all day and do nothing then complain about it" the man replied defensively

It fell quiet and she felt like the silence should be filled by something. Not wanting it to get awkward, she decided to introduce herself.

"Laura" she finally said. "I'm Laura Clark"

"Laura, hi. I'm Michael De Santa. Considering all the time I've-" he paused and looked at the empty chair in front of me and moved his hand in a gesture towards the chair.

"Oh, sit. Sit. I'm not waiting for anyone"

"Thank you"

He sat down and put his cup of coffee in front of him.