The Moment Of Truth

Laura ran along the path in Del Perro beach, now panting and sweating the living hell out of her. She felt so energetic these past couple of months that she felt like running, she didn't know why but she felt more alive. Michael invaded her mind and she sighed happily, fantasising about him. She thought about how she felt, she was slowly falling for him and she couldn't do anything about it, he was admirable, he made her happy, which was more than she could say about anyone else. But her former husband was another chapter that she avoided rereading. As she drifted from the path into the sand to get closer to the sea, she stepped over a foot accidentally and heard a scream that found her way towards her shielded ears. She stopped and removed her earbuds and looked back. It was the same ginger man, now huddling under the cover of the umbrella. She guessed he had finally discovered that sunburn.

"Not you again. You stepped on my foot" he said, a little annoyed as he grasped his foot.

"What? Are you some sort of idiot. Move"

"When you don't stick to the running path like normal people do, you must be the idiot, sheesh"

"I like to run near the water, okay?" She said and ran off before he spoke of something else. Her brain slowly gracing her with thoughts about Michael once again, numbing down Mary Ann's shrieks that told her to stop wasting time.

••••

Laura stood back and looked at her painting. It took her a few days of silence and quality time with herself. She didn't meet with Micheal for a few days because he said he would be very busy these upcoming days but she wondered if this was related to the kiss they shared, the days passed slowly without his contact, they felt strange. She comforted herself by thinking it might be because he wanted to spend more quality time with his kids. Mary Ann still bothered her but she managed to get out before she arrived a couple times successfully. She smiled, proud of her work, she drew the moon and Michael's head turning towards the moon as if it was his only saviour, she gazed at it as if the man would turn his head and meet her eyes, her mind wandered to the kiss but she knew she shouldn't think about it now, she shouldn't rush and hurt herself later on. She left it to dry a little before continuing and she headed upstairs, jogging on the steps and made her way to the kitchen. She pulled open the fridge door and grabbed an ECola and decided to take a TV break. She sat on the couch that was now clumsily wrapped in plastic then turned on the TV. A Weazel News report was on and she would have to wait til it was done to watch anything.

"Just doing my job. he just said to me something like "you forget a thousand things everyday, make sure this is one of them". I don't know what the hell that means. Is it from TV? I don't know"

Laura lifted her eyebrows in surprise. It amused her that a two bit crook would use a line like that. She'd definitely tell Michael later.

"They robbed millions worth of jewels from Vangelico in Burton. Police have pursued the robbers down to the river where they managed to escape the evading forces. The chief has said that they will do everything in their power to arrest the robbers"

Laura still thought about the robbery as the news report came to an end, it was the first in a while, no casualties, they just took the jewels, this was more elaborated than the regular news reports of convenience stores, this was interesting. Next was the Underbelly of Paradise where an FIB agent by the name of Steve Haines goes around the city to highlight crime. She turned off the TV and removed her hand from her mouth after yawning. Haines seemed charming in his show, it attracted the viewers and they loved him but this wasn't the time for him.

Her phone rang loudly while she was lost in thought and made her jump. Her eyes shifted towards the screen and saw it was Michael. She picked it up and answered, putting it up to her ear.