Dirt, Guns and Long Lost Secrets

Michael knew what he had done was wrong, deceiving her like that. But he couldn't tell her anything or else he'd risk losing her forever. A world with a lie was better than a world of truth where he felt nothing but alone. He looked at her head on his chest, their time was the best he'd had in a while, he couldn't even compare it to any moment of his life. He knew she was awake because she lightly tapped her fingers on his chest, he just pulled her closer and buried his face in her hair.

"Do you have to go?"

Laura asked him, he wished he could say no but he had already ignored three calls from Steve Haines and one from Dave. They'd chew him out for this but it all could wait for a few seconds with her.

"I do, these dickheads really love the dirty work"

She was silent and Michael didn't like when she was. He knew she was thinking and he worried she'd be reluctant about being with him. She already knew too much, if Dave knew she did, he'd make her life a living hell. So being quiet about it all was needed.

"Hey, c'mon. What's on your mind"

He added lightheartedly but with a hint of concern. There was another pause before she spoke.

"This won't change anything, will it?"

She gestured at their bodies and looked up to him, he smiled when she faced him.

"Actually.. I was hoping it would"

He said quietly, hoping he hadn't completely made a fool out of himself.

She propped herself up on her elbows to look at his face. He smiled and hoped all the feelings he had been experiencing were true.

"Hope that's okay?"

He asked and rubbed her shoulder.

"I.. what are you asking me here?"

"Be my girlfriend and make me the happiest son of a bitch this city has ever known"

"Oh, Mike"

She smiled and hugged him, she held him tightly and he didn't wanna let go as well. But he knew he had to but now all his mind could think about was how he was in love with this woman. She held his thoughts and heart, he hadn't even thought about Steve and Dave or fucking Trevor til the phone rang again. It was a call he had to answer sooner or later.

"Yes. Yes. I'll be your girlfriend"

She lovingly held his face and pressed her lips to his, wishing this would last.

***

It was dirty work indeed and it wasn't because Michael was laying down on the dirt in Chumash, aiming a sniper rifle at a party in a two-story house near the beach. The music was so loud that you could hear it all the way from across the street, and it was a new task for Michael. He had to kill a man the "good guys" down at the FIB said was a terrorist. Michael knew better than to ask unnecessary questions so he kept his mouth shut concerning that and kept his mind open which was easier said than done. Putting together the rifle was easier than he expected, considering the fact he hadn't touched a weapon of the sort in ages. He appreciated the complexity yet ease of the firearm and held the trigger gently, keeping an eye out for the suspect. It was a quiet evening and now his thoughts surfaced on the deep sea of concern that is Brad's death. Trevor didn't know about it and that terrified Michael, he knew that he mustn't know at all costs.

"Yeah, Dave, I'm not seeing anyone here. I mean, I did mention there's a party"

Dave held up a finger and Michael saw he was on the phone. The other man came closer so he could be heard.