7: Ethan Hayes

• MARK'S POV •

I often saw Ethan walking in the halls, standing by his locker and in class, I sat behind him in almost every class. I knew how much Ethan wanted me to talk to him but I couldn't do it. There were too many people watching and my reputation was pretty important for my scholarship.

Often Ethan stoot or sat there muttering, talking or arguing to the spirit of Adrian Harvey.

Even though I now know he wasn't insane it still looked really weird.

What I noticed since I've been following his moves somewhat closer since the happening in the hospital was that how carefull Ethan was with being himself, he wouldn't laugh at jokes and if he had it was a small snigger, he always was watching the movements of other people and didn't show much personality at all. But I knew better since he was really talkative in the hospital and he always in to Noah in lunchbreaks and sometimes even to Adrian when he thinks nobody can hear him.

I couldn't imagine what it felt like to be so carefull, I never had to be careful, I said what I thought and did what I wanted. But Ethan had always dead people around him, demanding things like answers from him. And to make it worse "normal people" couldn't see the dead ones following Ethan.

Hell I couldn't see them. I didn't know what the ghost named 'Gary' looked like some time ago when time Ethan lost his cool in the hallway and screamed that 'Gary had to get the fuck away from him', after being all on edge and nervous in class.

People of course started to make fun of him, but Ethan didn't even notice. Ethan was cornered by the spirit and didn't want 'relive a death', I saw his fear so I started to approach the pale boy but before I could reach out, Ethan's eyes rolled back into his head, his eyes closed and his face went numb.

He blacked out and made a hard fall.

I didn't want to ruin my reputation, so I told a random kid to get the school nurse and I left him there helpless.

After that I was sitting in class and when I looked at the window, I saw Ethan with a guy which I figured was his father since he looked completely different but yet the same walking to the car.

The guy had a normal somewhat tanned skincolor, was well build, had light brown hair, was longer and wore color. His nose and jaw looked te same as Ethans.

I felt really guilty.

Today was a month ago since Ethan told me his secret in the hospital and fifteen days ago I left him behind in the hallway.

Maybe I can stop by if he sits with Noah or alone in the school yard. Just to check if everything is fine since he had a pretty big bruise on his chin after the fall.

I nodded to myself in the mirror, that was a great plan.

I looked on my phone to see the time, it was time to go. So I grabbed my bag and walked downstairs, said "I'm going!" And waited a couple seconds for a response but there was none.

Home alone again.

So I just walked out the door to the car and threw my bag in the trunk, got in and drove away.

I would get something to eat in school, since nobody was home I skipped eating like always because making a meal myself would take too long.

The drive to school was peacefull, I thought about football practice, friends, girls anything a normal teenager does I guess.

When I had parked my car in the parking lot from the school, I walked through the dubbeldoors to my locker, where my friends were waiting for me.

Chandler was one of my best friends since kindergarten, he was a big nerd but kept it quiet. You also had Tyler who had joined us here, he came out as gay a year ago. Other guys were Brody, Jay and Max.