mike wheeler ◊ are you real?

when mike feels like all hope is lost, you come and see him crying

---

crying. crying in class like a pussy. crying in class like a pussy and having people pointing and laughing at him as he bolted out of the door. crying in class like a pussy and having people pointing and laughing at him as he bolted out of the door, except for one girl. this one girl had no hint of humor on her face. this girl was you. you scoffed at the people laughing at him and quickly got your bag, running out of the classroom towards him; the teacher surprisingly didn't seem to mind. damn school.

you thought his name was mike. mike wheeler. you were partners with his friend dustin for science once, he'd talked about. mike wheeler was the kid going through some shit. with the disappearance of will - though it seemed like half the school didn't care - he seemed to be hit the hardest. but will was back now... at least he was in the hospital. they said he would be back in school soon, so maybe it was something else? you didn't know the kid too well, but you were determined to talk to him and see what the hell was up. honestly, you were intrigued.

you saw him just outside the door of another classroom, not being able to make it to the bathroom and just breaking down on the floor. his face was in his hands in between his knees, tucked to his chest. he was sobbing, though nobody was in the hall nobody else could hear. except for you. "h-hey, mike...?" you asked tenderly, kneeling in front of him once you got to him. he looked up with sad eyes, a tear rolling down his freckle infested cheeks. his hair was matted and knotty, his cheeks were flushed and his eyes were red. "it's mike, right?" he gave a timid nod and sucked in a few ragged breaths, probably embarrassed because he was crying in front of a girl. "hey, i see you're going through a lot... do you maybe, possibly, want to talk about it?"

"a-are you real?" he asks, a tear rolling down his cheek as he continued to try not to sob.

"yes, yes mike i'm real. i'm right here, okay?" you sat down next to him, gently putting a hand on his shoulder. "do you want me to stay and sit here in silence, or do you want to talk?"

"...n-not here..." he said timidly, looking around as if there could be other people. he took you outside, he had his own little personal corner next to the fences; this was the place where the 'losers' hung out. you actually thought it was pretty cool.

"is it about will?" you asked once the two of you got comfortable sitting on a nearby bench. "he's okay right? he's back, just in the hospital."

"n-no it's not will..." he wiped his teary eyes and looked up at you. "i just... lost someone yesterday... a very important part of my group. she died... trying to protect us... and she did, but she had to leave." he ran a hand through his hair, his hand getting caught halfway due to the knottiness.

"i'm so sorry for your loss, what was her name?"

"el... i miss her everyday..."

"i'm so sorry, mike." you put a soft hand on his shoulder, making him give you a small smile before looking down at the concrete. "is there anything i can do?"

"no... i-i don't think so, but thank you."

"of course, thank you for telling me..."

"god i'm such an idiot... i'm crying in front of you and i never asked your name."

"oh... i'm (y/n). (y/n) (l/n)." you said, shaking his hand gently. "why didn't you think that i was real, mike?"

"i-i don't know... i just didn't think there would be someone else who cared about me... i guess i thought i was imagining it..."

"you don't have to imagine anymore, because i'll always be right here for you, mike." he smiled gently up at you.

"thanks, (y/n)."

---

kinda shitty but it's ma boi mikey