Chapter Ten: The Games

The morning comes. The light is blinding as the automatic shutters open and seep in the sunlight.

After my tightly scheduled shower and change of clothes, I have breakfast, in which I eat a lot. Scoff as much down as possible, toast, meat, boiled eggs. The lot.

After a solid twenty minutes of stuffing my face anxiously with food, Katniss and I are separated by a couple of Peacekeepers for the last time as we're loaded onto the grey hovercraft that will take us to the arena. The location of which is unknown.

"Remember, keep away from the Cornucopia. Keep away from open fires, and find water. Stay hidden and you should be fine."

"Thank you Haymitch." I say sincerely, "I'll do my best."

I'm sat on the ship and I try my hardest to look for Katniss. I have to help her once I get in there. She must live, for her family.

A Peacekeeper roams around in a peculiar order, from Tribute to Tribute, injecting a tracker into their arm with a large needle. It hurts, but not enough for me to make a fool of myself and whimper.

And one by one, we're taken off the ship and are sent to seperate small rooms where Portia waits. She sits behind a small desk with some paperwork, god knows what for. Probably the death letter back to my family.

"Peeta." She stands as she notices me.

"Portia" I return quietly.

"All ready?" She asks, trying to shed some light upon the situation, I guess.

"What choice do I have?" I reply, obviously dreading the next few days. If I last that long.

"Well, at least you have a choice of what weapon you choose. But I recommend your legs and your brain. They should help you the most. But of course come across a sword and you're gonna take it." Although this seems incredibly obvious, the recap is very helpful.

"Thank you Portia, I'll keep that in mind."

She gets up and takes a waterproof jacket off the rack I'm stood next to, helps me get it on and I zip it up.

"20 seconds"

My heart races.

"Good luck." She says, giving me a strong hug.

"Thank you." I hug back.

I spend the last 15 seconds stood in the glass tube, staring towards the floor, waiting. As the clock runs down and the platform below my feet rises, I look back up to Portia and give her a nod as she so nearly tears up.

This is it.

Sunlight hits my eyes. I squint, and when they're fully open, I see trees and green grass all around. All other 23 Tributes stood poised for the start of a bloodbath. I can see the Cornucopia, a large, metal, horn shaped structure filled with weapons. Keep away I think as I see the Careers ready to run for the heaviest weapons to deal the heaviest damage.

My eyes wonder to find Katniss standing 6 podiums away from me. I wait to see her glance back. I know exactly what she is thinking by now. She notices me and I shake my head at her...

She is heading straight for the cornucopia.

But spontaneously, the clock runs down in a deep voice over the woodland arena:

10...9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2...

___________________________

Thank you for reading!😘

Getting to the good parts now where I can use my imagination!😃

New chapter soon!