Falsettos

So I finally got around to watching Falsettos, live from the Lincoln Center and I enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite musical in terms of music, as I didn't start to enjoy the music until Act II, but overall I thought it was very well done! If you haven't seen it, I highly suggest that you do! So let's get into this review!

~~~~~~~~

Favorite Character: This is actually pretty tough because there are many characters that I like. I suppose I'd say Whizzer because even though he's not in the musical all that much he seems like he has a really good heart and his character development is really nice. He just seems really sweet and a little dangerous and it's kind of fun. I like his relationship with Jason and the rest of the family. And even though in the beginning of the musical he isn't very loyal to Marvin, by the end you can tell how much he's grown up. His character development was outstanding!

Least Favorite Character: I really want to say Marvin, but I can't because I really end up feeling bad for him. In the first act of the musical I do really hate Marvin, not because he left his family but because he expects everyone to just wallow in sadness without him. He's vain and he's childish and is anger with Whizzer is unfair and uncalled for with the chess game. As well as his anger towards Trina for marrying Mendel. But at the end of Act I when he continues to try and be there for Jason even after everything goes so terribly wrong, I start to appreciate him a lot more. And just like Whizzer, he grows up a lot in the second act. That being said, I still find him to be selfish but he stops inflicting his selfishness on others. He also learns how to appreciate Whizzer and properly show how he loves him. You also see how his relationship with Jason and Trina progresses and though he and Trina never end up on good terms, you can tell they've become civil and learn to accept each other's happiness with other people. And then when Marvin breaks down over Whizzer's death, it's very real and very sad and heartbreaking so I can't help but feel bad for him. So yeah, basically I am able to appreciate and follow Marvin's growth as a character and therefore I have trouble hating him.

Favorite Song: The Games I Play is a gorgeous gorgeous song! I'd definitely say that's my favorite. I thought it was unexpected for Whizzer and just so well performed that it really stuck with me. I like the emotion behind it and I think it's the real defining moment for Whizzer's character progression. That all being said I also like the songs, I'm Breaking Down, The Baseball Game, Everyone Hates His Parents, and You Gotta Die Sometime.

Least Favorite Song: There are a lot of songs that I don't really like just because I find the way they were written is a little annoying, not that the composition is bad it's just not for me, but if I had to just pick a least favorite I'd say March of the Falsettos because I found it a bit weird and a bit creepy. I understand the symbolism of the song but I wouldn't ever listen to it again I don't think.

Cast: This was one of the best round-about casts I have ever seen. Each and every one of them was absolutely perfect! Betsy Wolfe was so cute and peppy and Tracie Thoms had the most gorgeous voice and her voice and Betsy's fit perfectly together! Anthony Rosenthal was adorable as Jason and he's very talented! Brandon Uranowitz has a phenomenal voice!!!! I was very happy to discover him on this show because he was just so good! Also I love Mendel so... Stephanie J Block was amazing as always! She is one of my favorites ever and she did an amazing job in this show! Christian Borle is also easily one of my favorite actors and his acting job in this was just outstanding! Also his singing exceeded all of my high expectations and I was blown away! And finally Andrew Rannells was phenomenal! He's just so good and I loved him in The Book of Mormon so this was so exciting. He's a great actor and it was really interesting to see him in a more emotional and in depth role compare to Elder Price in The Book of Mormon. Overall it's just a great great cast!

Overall I thought Falsettos was an incredibly well written and smart. The symbolism and the way everything connects is gorgeous written and meaningful. It's super fun to sit and analyze the musical because of the meaning behind everything. The lessons it conveys through its storytelling and foreshadowing and symbolism make it a gorgeous show with a lot of heart! I'm definitely glad I've watched it! Give it a listen or watch it if you have he chance!!

~~~~~~~~
Hello all!!! I hope you are all well! I'm sorry I haven't been updating recently! I have been busy!

As usual these are solely my opinions and they are not meant to offend or upset anyone! If they offend you in anyway please please let me know! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Also I've been wanted to do more Song by Song reviews... would that be okay with you guys?