Broadway Pet Peeves

So something a little different and more ranty than usual for me but I have a short list of some Broadway pet peeves that I have and I wanted to know what you guys thought about them!

I don't mean any disrespect by these at all! This is just for fun and they're only my opinions! It does not mean that other people cannot enjoy these things or partake in them and I have no problem if people do!!! Again they are just my opinions of some things that I dislike or things that annoy me in the Broadway sphere! If anything offends you I deeply apologize in advance if I do!!!

~~~~~~~

1. "I love musicals Hamilton is so good"
Okay so before anyone gets mad please please hear me out!! I just don't like it when someone likes one musical and they claim they are a fan of all musicals because then I get excited and ask them about a bunch of shows and they don't know any! And then I feel stupid and I feel bad and it's just stressful! This isn't at problem if the person wants to get into other shows and realize that they like musicals through whatever show. It becomes an issue when someone claims they like musicals and only like one show but make no attempt to listen to or watch any others. I don't mind if someone just likes Hamilton and keeps it at that but I sorta wish they would present it as that rather than saying they're a musical theatre or a Broadway fan. Also I cite Hamilton because I find it's most common with this show but it's so common with other including some of my favorites! I really don't mean to be mean with this one I'm sorry but I wish people would be more honest with this to cease social awkwardness I guess.

2. When cast recordings use a different orchestra than the pit of the show.
Okay so I discovered this when watching Frozen on Broadway make their cast recording and one of the men said they brought in a larger string section for the recording. I'm sure this is very common with lots of musicals as well but I think that's incredibly annoying! I want to hear the show as the show is performed! I understand that they do that to get people to come see the show or they feel that it would sound better but honestly it feels like a scam. I wouldn't want to listen to a cast recording and then feel disappointed watching the actual show if the orchestra isn't as bright and booming as I expected it to be.

3. Jukebox Musicals
So for anyone who doesn't know a jukebox musical is a musical that uses previously written songs (usually from a specific band/artist) for the music in the musical. So popular examples would be Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys, American Idiot, and Rock of Ages. But I really don't like these types of musicals. Very often I don't like the music because I don't usually like popular artists or bands or anything like that really and a lot of times with these I find that the story and the characters are pretty boring because they have to fit the music. I'm sure this isn't the case with all but I just haven't been a fan of the ones that I've heard/seen. Specifically Mamma Mia because it doesn't even have a satisfying ending. The music is fun but for me it's only fun watching the movie because they're in Greece and the scenery is gorgeous. Outside of that though I'm really not a fan. I'm also sorta including the Spongebob Musical under this dome because even though the songs were written for the musical they're all written by different popular artists and I don't have another category for it. I really just prefer composers writing musicals like the olden days haha.

4. When people can't separate an actor from their character
Ramin Karimloo is not the Phantom he plays the Phantom. Hadley Fraser is not Raoul he plays Raoul. Ben Platt is not Evan Hanson he plays Evan Hanson. Lin Manuel Miranda is not Alexander Hamilton he plays Alexander Hamilton. Obviously I don't care when people say some is whatever character they play I was just trying to make a point. I hate it when fans can't watch a different musical without bringing up other characters! For example, I hate it when I watch clips from the 25th Anniversary of Les Mis with Ramin Karimloo and Hadley Fraser and I go to the comment section and all of the comments are about shipping Raoul and Erik because of things that happen on the scene but the musical nor the scene nor the characters have anything to do with Phantom. I understand that it's just a joke and it's fun for people since they love those characters so much but I feel like it's so frustrating for the actors because they want to move on to other things and new roles but their fans don't let them and always just ask for them to return to that role and they constantly have to explain themselves. A lot of fans act like Lin Manuel Miranda is Alexander Hamilton in real life and that they're the same person but Lin and Alexander Hamilton are not similar and aren't the same person and I just feel like it's over whelming for the actors I don't know. I'm really sorry if any of you think this way if doing this makes you happy go for it!