Gillian Lynne

I am absolutely heartbroken to have heard that Gillian Lynne passed away today in a hospital in London. For those of you who aren't aware, Gillian Lynne had a successful 92 years of life. She was a ballerina and a wonderful dancer and she performed in several famous operas and ballets. She was a featured soloist in a number of performances and later in life infused ballet and jazz to create her own unique style of dance. She also was the choreographer and stager of both Cats and The Phantom of the Opera as well as Cabaret and My Fair Lady and several other musicals and films. She was a renowned performer and director as well. She directed more than 60 shows on the West End and Broadway throughout her career. She even directed several episodes of The Muppets Show! She recently had a theatre in London named after her and was crowned DBE from the Queen. She has won several Olivier Awards including and as well as special honors and lifetime achievement awards. She has been a huge part of so many of the shows that I love and regardless of what anyone else thinks I think her work is timeless. I am so sad to hear of her passing and I hope she rests peacefully but I am happy to be familiar enough with her work to honor her wonderful life and the wonderful things that she's accomplished.