Chapter Eight

"If I can get Annabelle to trust me, maybe she'll agree to be my pet! Nathan can't stop me if she agrees!" Victor read in a fake girl voice. His friends snickered as Lillie went red. I however looked at her furiously. "I know she just got here but I've always wanted a pet. She's so cute too. I bet she'd be such an obedient little one too!"

"You thought I would agree to being your pet if you were nice!" I screamed. "You wanted me to be your obedient little pet!?"

"It's not like that, Annabelle!" She exclaimed.

"I thought you were going to be a nice friend!" I began to cry. "Everyone is lying to me! You, Nathan, everyone is either hiding everything or lying!"

"Annabelle please!" Lillie exclaimed. I jumped out of her hand, hit floor on my arm, and ran off griping my arm while crying. "God I hate you Victor! You just have to ruin everything!" She yelled. Victor laughter. Then I heard someone come after me and then I was scooped up into a hand. I looked up and saw it hat it was Victor carrying me. He went into an empty classroom and set my onto the floor, then sat in front of me.

"What happened when you left the room?" He asked.

"Don't bother worrying about it..." I said.

"Tell me now, little mouse." He said sternly. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"I found the borrower-taming classroom. Then I confronted Nathan. He admitted to taking my parents..." I began to cry.

"So you have no where to go tonight since you're clearly not talking to Nathan?"

"I...I guess so." He lifted me up.

"Guess you'll have to stay with me then." He smirked as I panicked.

"Uh, no I'll be fine on my own." I said nervously.

"Don't be shy, little mouse. You'll love it." He pat my head as he walked to his next class with me in his hand. My eyes widened as he went into the borrower taming room. He sat into a desk and I saw the twenty or so
cages in front. Each one contained a borrower, their faces full of fear. The teacher didn't notice I was there though.

"Welcome class! I'm Mr.Zae. Behind me are borrowers I got from the market. They're all very frightened as you can see." He gestured to the borrowers. "In this class not only will you get a borrower companion, you'll learn to tame and get them to trust you properly." Every one of the students looked and the room filled with excited voices. When the teacher asked everyone to get up and pick a borrower, Victor raised his hand.

"Sir, I already have a borrower with me." He gestured to me. I panicked even more. The teacher shook his head.

"Annabelle is a student, not a pet." He told him.

"I never said she was a pet. I just wanted to know if befriending her and another borrower would count as one or two projects." I looked at him confused but said nothing.

"I'll split your grade between the two." Mr.Zae told him while picking up a cage with a borrower man inside. "I have one left up there and everyone's picked one. You'll need to take him." Victor exchanged looks with me before getting up and picking up a cage. There was a boy his age inside. They were an elf with black shaggy hair and green eyes. He sat with crossed arms.

"Well he seems friendly." Victor said sarcastically as he sat down. Mr.Zae continued talking to the class.

"Now the key to getting a borrower to trust you is talking. Speak to your borrower and try to calm them down. Once you get them to settle down, try asking them what their name is and other small talk." He said. "It'll be great if you can get the borrower to come out willingly in class but if not it's perfectly fine. You'll have all night and tomorrow. Do not force them out or lay a finger on them." He narrowed his eyes. "If I catch anyone violently harming their companion you will flunk my class, the borrower will be taken from you, you'll never be welcomed back into my class and will never be able to have a borrower companion again." Even I widened my eyes with the others. He then let the loose. Everyone began talking to their borrower. Victor looked at the boy who simply glared back.

"Hey little guy-" He began.

"Shut up." The boy snapped.

"Whoa, I was just saying hello."

"You're just doing this for a grade. Once this class is done you'll sell me and leave me to be food." The boy snapped. I perked my ear up.

"No I'm not, stop being-" Victor began. I lifted my hand.

"Victor, let me talk to him." I said. Victor scoffed and shrugged, leaving me to talk to him. I walked up to the steel bars. The boy glared at me.

"Traitor." He snapped.

"Look, I can tell you not all giants aren't always bad. A giant gave me a home and helped me get into this school." I told him.

"This kid did this?" He asked unimpressed.

"Uh, no. Someone else did but..." I bit my lip.

"See. They're all traitors." He said bitterly. "They'll treat you all fine and good until they get bored. Then their parents will sell us off and no one will want us again."

"What happened to you?" I asked.

"Don't bother trying to act caring." He looked away with arms crossed. I sighed and looked at Victor.

"Well?" He asked impatiently.

"Give him some time?" I said nervously. He sighed with a sympathetic look to the boy.

"Come on little guy." He said softly. "I know you're scared and you don't trust me but we have to work together." He said softly. The boy still didn't look at him. The teacher came around and checked everyone. He saw that Victor was struggling to even get the boy to look at him.

"Some take time to gain trust with." He said. "Just be patient." He was about to bend down and look at him closer when a rattling noise caused him to look up and for us two to jump. I looked to where the teacher was looking and saw Victor's blue haired friend shaking the cage his borrower was in. Inside was a scared man. His head hit the bar thus making him fall unconscious.

"Hector you idiot!" Victor snapped.

"What? The bastard wouldn't come out of the cage." His friend said bitterly. The teacher went over and took him by the back of the shirt.

"Get out of my classroom!" He snapped. "You are not welcomed back here either!" He shoved Hector out the room. He then opened the cage and lifted the borrower man to examine him. He sighed. "Poor man. He'll live but he's certainly not going to trust anyone else." He ran his hand through his hair. "I already have one borrower to tame. He will need extra time to tend to as well. I won't be able to watch after him." He sighed. Victor looked at me then at the teacher.

"Sir. I'll take him." He said confidently. The teacher looked at him shocked.

"Oh no Victor, you already have Annabelle and that little one right there." He said. "I'll have to give this man to another pet shop or something...." He didn't seem to like that idea.

"I can handle it, sir. Give me a chance." Victor told him.

"Hmm..." The teacher held the man gently in his hands. "Okay. I cannot give you credit for him though." He said.

"I don't care about the credit. I just don't need him going to a pet shop because of my dumb idiot of a friend." Victor told him.

"Well that's nice of you." The teacher said with a smile. He handed him the cage with the man inside. "Best of luck to you."

"Thank you, sir." Victor then sighed as the teacher walked away. "Well Annabelle. Looks like it won't be just you coming to my house." I laughed awkwardly.

"I guess so." I said with a smile. Victor chuckled and left the elven boy alone. For the rest of the class he would check up on the man and watch the others pressuring their borrowers. Lillie was seeming to be impatient yet nice to hers. Made me wonder if she would have been patient with me if I hadn't known her plans. I simply watched as Victor looked at the elf with pity. I couldn't tell if he was nice or being fake.