Lover

Song of the Chapter: Dear God by XTC

___

About a week had passed since the group had seen each other. Everyone was down in the metaphorical dumps and Holly was no exception. The only friends she had seen were Richie, Bev and Stan. The latter had stopped by to make sure she was coming to his Bar Mitzvah to which she replied with an of course and she wouldn't miss it for the world. She ended up attending, sitting beside Richie and surrounded by Stan's family. She had felt out of place, being in a floral dress with a collar. A few nights ago, Bev spent the night at Holly's house.

So here she was, sitting on her couch watching a movie from a few years ago. The light of the television shone onto Rowan's face, highlighting the boredom written all over. Her dainty fingers played with the hem of her favorite shirt. A noise from above her, caught her attention. Her hands reached for the remote, grabbing it and pressing the button to mute the volume. Her brown eyes shifted to her ceiling, waiting for the noise she heard.

"I said, no!" Holly heard Bev yell from her apartment above. The tone of her best friend's voice sent chills up her spine. Holly gasped, running out of the living room and into the hallway, leaving the living room silent and flashing with the colors of the TV.

"No, no no! Get off! No!" She heard.

Running through her bedroom door, she headed straight for her window, swatting the sheer curtains away as she opened it. She nearly tumbled out of the window and landed on the dirty metal but regained her stability before bolting up the fire escape stairs.

She heard a door slam from inside Beverly's window. Nearly tripping once again, she made her way to the girl's window, thankful that it was cracked but not so thankful that it got stock halfway up. Holly hit the bottom of the window, knocking it up slowly. She whimpered as her knuckle split open once again.

With one last slam into the window, it opened enough for her to squeeze through. As soon as her leg was through the opening, a scream and breaking ceramic, a sound Holly knew all to well, sounded throughout the apartment. After a short pause at the noise, she fell into Bev's bedroom, not even fully standing before she rushed to the hallway.

"Bev. Bev!" She yelled, walking down the hallway. Her steps halted when her eyes landed on a piece of broken white ceramic on the ground. Bending down, she picked it up, turning it in her fingers. Her head slowly lifted up and she turned to the bathroom to her left.

The ceramic piece dropped from her fingers and hit the floor, bouncing once before it settled. Her brown eyes widened at the scene before her. On the bathroom floor laid Beverly's father sprawled amongst a broken piece of the toilet. Holly stepped into the room, looking at the man's head, not even noticing that her bare feet where now covered in his thick blood which seeped from a nasty laceration. At the very least he would have a terrible concussion. Holly still felt no remorse for his condition, he was a nasty man and the stories Bev had told her proved it. He deserved what happened to him.

Her eyes shifted from Bev's father to the wall on his other side. In the man's blood was written, "You die if you try". Holly's eyes widened and she stepped backwards, her back colliding with the doorway before she grabbed onto it for support, not able to take her eyes off of the scene in front of her. She knew who did this. She knew who took Bev.

It was that fucking clown.

Holly turned out of the bathroom and down the hallway, headed towards the Marsh's landline. Behind her, she left tiny bloody footprints but all that was on her mind was her friends. She grabbed the phone, jamming her fingers into the buttons to dial Bill's house. The dial tone sounded and her shaking fingers tugged on the spiral cord as she waited for her call to be answered.