Bound By Blood

Song of the Chapter: Good Old Days by Macklemore and Kesha

Warning: Unedited!!

Above the group, birds flew through the air. The sky was a brilliant blue, only a few white clouds danced across the sky. Holly sat a top a log, twisting a blade of lavender in her fingers in anxiety. The girl didn't want to think about the events of that summer. All she wanted to remember was how close they had all gotten. And they had become inseperable.

"I can only remember parts, but I thought I was dead. That's what it felt like. I saw us together, back in the cistern but we where older. Like our parents' ages." Beverly explained.

"What were we all doing there?" Bill questioned, fully immersed in Beverly's recollection, just like the rest of the group.

"I just remember how we felt. How scared we were. I don't think I can ever forget that." She spoke. Holly nodded her head slightly, staring off into the distance. At Bev's words, everything that had happened in the past month or two came flashing in her head. Eddie shifted beside her, resting his hand over top hers. She didn't know how he could tell she needed comforting, yet she was thankful for the contact, despite the hot weather and his clammy hand.

Bill leaned forward quickly, bending to the ground to pick something up.

"Swear it. S-s-swear, if it isn't dead, if it comes back, we'll come back, too." Bill grasped a glass shard in his fingers, shaking it with each word. Holly didn't need any time to think. She knew that, no matter how scared she was and would ever be, she loved her friends more. IT had nobody. They had each other and that is what made them strong. She stood just after Beverly, followed by the rest of the group. Turning, she smiled slightly at Eddie at her side. He returned the notion and they both looked to Bill.

The boy scraped the glass across his palm, blood seeping from the new wound as he made a hissing sound due to the pain. Moving to his left, he drug the glass over Richie's palm, the boy gasping as he shook his hand. Bill took a step to Holly. The girl holding her palm out, her face somehow vulnerable and stoic all at once. At her side, Eddie watched anxiously. Richie grabbed her shoulder with his non-bloodied hand to comfort her, though he was sure she didn't need it. She nodded at Bill who looked into her eyes for permission, grabbing her hand. At her nod, he lifted the glass. Holly didn't move an inch as it scraped across her delicate skin. Not a sound escaped her lips and her heart only beat slightly faster for an instant.

Bill moved to Eddie. Since Holly's hand was currently 'compromised', she side-stepped to him, resting her arm against his. He turned his head, connecting their brown eyes. For the first time, Holly noticed how he had a ring of dark brown, surrounding the lighter chestnut color. His eyes squeezed closed as Bill cut his palm. Richie leaned over, patting Eddie's shoulder in support.

Bill moved on to Mike. To Stan, Ben, Bev. The girl barely flinched, much like Holly. Perhaps girls just had a higher pain tolerance. Or perhaps their pain was slightly different. More in their heads. Or their homes.

Holly turned to Eddie, who's hand was out at his side.

"You used to hate blood." Holly mentioned quietly as she grabbed onto the boy's hand, ignoring the sting. By her thumb, she could feel Eddie's cast scratching at her skin.

"Still do." Eddie said, giving Holly's hand a squeeze. She turned to her other side, grabbing Richie's hand. Once everyone had joined hands in their circle formation, they dropped their hands at their sides. Holly dropped Richie's hand and let go of Eddie's hand, yet the boy hung on. Holly's eyes met his, and she grasped his hand again.