Chapter 10

Mikasa X Jean

Mikasa began to look worried as she faced the west. "Where are they? The sun is already up and they should have been here by now."

Jean was sitting next to her on the inner edge of Wall Maria. "Be patient. Remember when Armin showed us the map? He said they path the second group travels on between the walls is wider than where we crossed. At least 15 kilometers wider. Hanji said if they don't show up within the next hour then we must send a squad to them and investigate what happened."

"Well if they are being attacked by titans, I'm not going to wait here an hour." Mikasa said as she stood up.

At that moment, somebody shouted, "Over there! I see the second group!"

Mikasa looked in the area where the soldier was pointing. She noticed the group was farther south than expected.

"Okay everyone. Listen up. We are going to head south a little more and meet up with the second group somewhere in between. Throughout this time, remain alert for any incoming titans. When we meet up, we will need all hands on deck so we can get that group on the wall as fast as possible." Hanji announced. The soldiers saluted her and Armin fired a signal to get the attention of the other group.

It took a half hour for the two groups to meet up. Immediately, both groups worked together to get the ones on the ground up the side of Wall Maria. While that happened, Hanji, Levi, and Armin had a strategy meeting.

It was around noon when someone shouted, "abnormal titan coming from the south-west." The three leaders looked to see the threat. And sure enough, it was a 15 meter abnormal titan doing flips. It was heading straight for them. Not all of the second group was up the wall yet, so many began to panic.

"Everyone, defend those on the ground. Mikasa and I will handle the titan." Captain Levi shouted as he made his way towards the titan. Mikasa hated the idea of working with him but decided to follow anyways. As the remaining soldiers worked as fast as they could to pull the ground troops up the wall, some formed a perimeter around them, ready to fight.

The Ackermans used their gear on the very few trees to move toward the oncoming titan. Mikasa remained low, while Levi zoomed higher from the ground. With great speed, they used teamwork to bring the titan down. Mikasa cut at the titan's ankles while Levi attacked its neck. Within a few seconds, the titan was brought to the ground. Once the titan wasn't a threat anymore, they checked their surroundings before returning to the wall.

"We are changing our strategy." Captain Levi began. "I want to have one or two squads to remain on the ground. This will to give us a faster response to any threat. When anyone spots a titan, the ground squads will attack while the remaining squads on the wall continue moving forward. We have enough horses down here so I want squads 1 and 2 to join me down on the ground. Anyone left over, get onto the wall."

The first squad belonged to Armin and Hanji's group had Mikasa and Jean among them. The second squad belonged to Levi's group, and contained Eren among others. There was 18 in total of the ground squads.

Eren x Levi

Even after the abnormal titan threat, Levi still insisted they moved forward. Levi led the ground squad with Eren, Mikasa and Jean riding behind him. The rode the rest of the day without incident.

For safety reasons, the ground squad came up the wall to rest for the night. Eren laid next to Levi, close enough where they could talk but far enough so no one would suspect their relationship. Levi laid there until Eren fell asleep before he sat up and kept watch.

Although their rest time was short, it was enough for everyone to move again. They traveled with the same strategy, but a little more cautious with the lack of the sun to light their path. After a few hours, the sun began to rise once more when Eren noticed the hole.

"That's the hole that goes to Shiganshina, correct?" Eren shouted to the Captain.

"Yes, it should be. Unless that is a second hole we didn't know about." He responded. At that moment, the sunlight lit the area a little better, and that's when Levi saw them.

Armin was the first to shout. "Titans! Up ahead."

A few titans could be seen just passed the hole. Eren didn't hesitate a moment, biting his hand and transforming at the sight of them. After the flash of lightning, Levi used his gear to join Eren on his titan shoulder.

Levi took a moment to count the titans. Just beyond the hole was 9 titans, waiting. Most were between 3 to 8 meters tall, except for two 15 meter titans. "Ground squad, be prepared to fight. Partner up to take down titans." He shouted to his group, who were spread out behind Eren's Titan form.

Levi continued to evaluate the situation they were heading into. He then noticed that something was out of place. Down by the entrance of the hole, he saw a white speck, heading toward them. As his squad grew closer, he noticed what the white speck was: a human.