Chapter 19

Eren

The next morning, Eren woke up before dawn because he couldn't sleep any longer. How could he, knowing that Levi was risking his life over a rumor. He cleaned the apartment up to kill time until breakfast. When he cooked, he remembered how easy it was to explain the situation to Ben the previous night and how he didn't mind Levi gone because it was for work. Once the food was ready, Eren went to wake Ben up, but found him already dressed and heading towards the mouthwatering aroma.

The two sat in silence as they ate breakfast, until Ben asked the obvious questions. "So how long is daddy gone for? How long will he be outside the wall?"

"Remember last night when I told you I didn't know? He could be gone for another day, or maybe up to a month." Eren explained after chewing his food. "But according to Commander Erwin, this should be a simple job, so he will be home sooner rather than later."

"You miss him, right? Because I do. But if he is doing this to help humans, then it is worth him being gone as long as it helps people." Ben said, finishing his food.

Eren got up and patted the kid's head before grabbing both plates and making his way to the sink. "Most expeditions the scouts go on help humanity."

"Since Hanji left too, who's going to watch me when you work today?"

Eren hadn't thought that far ahead, so he came up with a plan while he did the dishes before responding. "I planned on having Mikasa watch you, but I'm sure she will be working today, too." He turned to face Ben. "Do you think you can be here alone while I go to my meeting this morning? I know you said you don't like to be alone, but I promise it won't be for too long."

He saw Ben's face go pale but was surprised by the kid's answer. "I will be fine by myself. If I have something to distract myself with, then it's okay." Ben then smiled.

Eren couldn't help but smile back. "That's good then. I will leave in a few minutes." He then went and changed into his uniform and said goodbye to Ben before leaving. As Eren got closer to the Commander's office, he got more upset. He didn't want to go to the meeting but had to, so he could find out more on Levi's situation. When he arrived, there was not a response to his knock, so he had to wait.

After an hour of waiting passed, there was still no sign of the Commander. Eren was hoping to already be home by now and was about to do that when Commander Erwin came around the corner. "Where are you off to, Jaeger? I thought we had a meeting this morning."

"That's what I thought too, but you're an hour late. I told Ben I wouldn't be too long."

Erwin unlocked the door and waved Eren inside. "Then let's get this over with quickly." Then he took a seat behind his desk before starting the meeting. "So why, Mr. Jaeger, were you so upset yesterday?"

"I was upset that Levi left without anyone telling me about it. Why didn't you send me with him?"

"Because someone needed to stay here with Ben. I believe I told you that before." Erwin points out. "Tell me the real reason you are upset? I understand that you live with Levi and he is responsible for your actions, but why are you upset that he is gone? With him gone, you could have done anything you wanted."

"I...." Eren clenched his fists. "It's just not the same without Levi here. Without him by my side, I'm lost."

The Commander watched Eren's expression move from anger to sadness. "Now that you've said that, I must ask: what is he to you?"

"Levi is not only the one I admired growing up, he is my captain, and the one who holds my heart. I feel that being by his side and letting him show me who he really is made my life worth living. That's why I was upset that you let him outside the wall without me. We had plans for our future and being separated by that wall increases the chance of either one of us to end up alone.