The Constellations Fill My Soul

Title Credit: Constellations by Adore Delano

Soon, yard time is over. Kellin and I head towards the lunchroom. I see Jaime approaching us. He seems happier than he was hours ago.

"Hey," he greets with a smile, "I heard that CC will be back soon."

"That's great," I reply, "I miss him. Maybe I can see him before I leave."

Jaime's smile fades. "Yeah. Maybe." You can tell he's sad about me leaving soon.

"We'll see each other again," I assure him, "don't worry." Kellin nods in agreement; he's great backup!

"I know, but I'll still be sad when you leave. We've become great friends within these past few days. I don't want to lose that," Jaime explains.

"You won't," I tell him, "we'll still be close friends when I get out of here. You two will be out of here soon. Then we can all start a band and travel around the world! We'll be able to help other people with the same problems we have or had."

"Yeah!" Kellin exclaims. "Jaime, you with us or not?"

"Okay," Jaime sighs, "yeah."

"I can't hear you," I say.

"Yeah!"

"That's the spirit."

....

Now is the time for the family visit. I wait for my family in the visitation room. This is mandatory. If I didn't agree to go through with the visit, the staff would have no choice but to keep me here even longer.

"They're here," Gloria says behind me.

"Great," I reply, not turning around to look at her.

I hear footsteps behind me. They come closer. Soon, they are in front of me.

"Hello, Vic," I hear the voice of my brother, Mike, say.

I look up in awe, "Mike?"

"Vic," he replies.

"Where's Mom and Dad?" I ask.

"They didn't come. They were afraid that they wouldn't be able to get along long enough to visit you. They didn't want to stress you out. But, Mom will pick you up tomorrow," Mike explains.

"So, I'll be home tomorrow?"

"Yep. And you return to school next week. You will meet with a therapist once a week once you return," he replies.

"I'm glad. What's been going on?" I ask. Mike sits down in front of me.

"Well, the school had been strict. They look after all of us like we're cattle going to a slaughterhouse. They have kept most sharp objects out of reach for now," Mike replies, "it will be worse when you return."

"I assumed," I reply, "I'm sorry. I wish I stopped like you did."

"It's... Okay. Now, you've had help. You should get better. Soon, you'll be able to count the months you've been clean. Those months will turn into years. You'll eventually forget the bliss you felt during...that," Mike says.

"I can't wait for that. How have you been?"

"Worried, but okay. What about you?"

"I don't know, to be honest. Okay, I guess. I mean, I've made amazing friends, got a boyfriend, watched one of my friends go home, and gotten along with the staff here," I reply, "so, yeah. I'm okay!"

"That's great! I was really worried about you. I thought you'd be put in an intense unit. I guess you were better than I was when I self harmed," Mike says happily.

Mike and I continue to converse for about an hour. Gloria tells him that he has to go home. Mike and I share a brotherly hug before he goes.

It looks like this boy is leaving this place tomorrow. I can't wait.