14 - Home 🏡

🙋🏻 - Abid's POV
🗓️ - October 20, 2022
📍- India

---

I was at Mumbai airport, waiting for my car. It had been four years since I left my family, my home, my city, my country. I did it all for one person because I couldn't bear to face her. The pain I felt when I saw her with someone else was still fresh in my heart. It was suffocating and unbearable.

_Maybe she was married now and has beautiful children._

My inner voice mocked me. It always worked against me, but the thought of her as someone else's wife was too much to bear. No, I couldn't think like that.

The airport was buzzing with activity, but I felt detached from it all. Memories of the past flooded my mind, memories of her. I remembered the way she used to laugh, her eyes sparkling with joy. I remembered the warmth of her touch, the comfort of her presence. And then, the memory of seeing her with another man, happy and content, pierced my heart like a dagger. It was a sight that haunted me every single day.

I tried to push those thoughts away, but they kept coming back. The pain was too much to handle. I had to keep moving, keep walking, anything to keep my mind occupied. But it was no use. Everywhere I looked, I was reminded of her. Every couple, every family, every happy face brought back memories of what I had lost.

I felt a lump in my throat. I had made a decision to leave everything behind, to start anew in a different country. But here I was, back in the place that held so many memories, both beautiful and painful.

The anxiety was overwhelming. I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself. I couldn't let these emotions get the best of me. I had to be strong, for my father's sake. He needed me, and I couldn't let him down. I really hadn't wanted to come back, but yesterday, while I was studying a report in my study room, my phone rang. It was my dad. I picked it up and the conversation went like this,

"Assalamualaikum, Dad. How are you?"

"Walaikum Assalam, my son. I am good. How are you?"

"I'm good, Dad. How's Afiya?"

"She's also good. Well, I called to inform you that I booked your ticket for India tomorrow."

I was shocked. "But why so suddenly? Is everything alright, Dad?"

"Son, everything is fine. Now just start packing your bags because your flight is at 7 AM."

"But why, Dad? I told you already I don't want to come to India ever again. Please don't start this."

"Stop your nonsense. I already booked your ticket and you are coming tomorrow. It's final."

I knew what he wanted. He wanted me to come back and marry the girl he had chosen for me. But I didn't want to marry.

"No, I'm sorry, Dad, but I will not come."

"I'm not asking your permission. I said you will come, and you will have to come."

I didn't want to go. "This is my life, for God's sake, Dad!" My voice rose, trembling with frustration. I was not ready to return and face everything, especially her with someone else. Dad didn't respond, and silence filled the line. Shame washed over me.