16 - SHE 👱🏼‍♀️

🙋🏻 -  Abid's POV
🗓️ - October 20, 2022

---

As I descended the stairs from my room, my thoughts still muddled with the evening's events, Dad handed me some papers and asked me to sign them. I hesitated, wanting to take a moment to read through them, but Dad’s insistence was firm, almost urgent. He assured me it was a routine matter, but a knot of unease tightened in my stomach.

The thought that instantly flashed through my mind was:

It is not a Nikah (Marriage) paper, right?
Dad would not do something like that.

I tried to reassure myself, but doubt gnawed at me, making my heart race faster.

_Why? Are you afraid, now?_ My conscience mocked me, the voice echoing with a mixture of skepticism and amusement. The mere thought of marriage papers sent a shiver down my spine, and my mind was a whirl of confusion and anxiety.

I could feel my palms grow clammy as I looked at Dad, who was waiting patiently for me to comply. My hands trembled slightly as I took the pen, my conscience continuing to taunt me. I knew I should trust him, but the unexpectedness of it all made me question everything., and as soon as I did, he took the papers from my hand and enveloped me in a tight hug.

"Congratulations, my son," he said warmly.

"Thank you, Dad, but why?" I asked, puzzled.

"Because you got promoted," he replied with a smile.

"When? I mean, how?" I inquired, still confused by his cryptic words.

Dad was always like this, never getting straight to the point. His roundabout explanations sometimes grated on my nerves.

"You are now the CEO of Shimmer Pvt. Ltd.," he announced proudly.

I looked at him, my expression blank. I had only one question.

"Why?"

"What do you mean, why?" he countered. "From childhood, you've wanted to become the owner of Shimmer, and now the time has come. Why are you asking these stupid questions?"

"Yes, I wanted that, but not like this, not now," I protested.

"Oh, don't think like your father is insane," Dad chided gently. "Of course, I organized a whole party for you, my son. Our company is collaborating with Galaxy Star on a new project, and as you've become CEO, there will be a double celebration."

But what my father understood was not what I meant. Yes, I did want to become the owner of Shimmer, but not through legal means. I simply wanted to control the business in my own way, to give my father some rest. Since childhood, I had watched him work tirelessly to maintain Shimmer's status, and I didn't want to take that away from him. He had built Shimmer, and the right of ownership should always remain with him. I didn't want that burden.

"Oh, come on, son, don't think too much. It's celebration time, and we have to reach the hall before them," Dad urged, breaking me out of my thoughts.