One

"Stella, you're going to be sitting right here." Miss.Avery said leading me towards a seat in the front of the classroom.  I sat down watching her carefully help the other kids to their seats. Wow my very first day of school, I was so excited I could have peed my pants..but I didn't thats something four year olds would do and I'm five now. 

"Stella, this is Chance, he's going to be sitting next to you all year. Why don't you say hello?" Miss.Avery said smiling at us both before walking away. I smiled over at the dark haired boy taking in his appearance. Was this him? Was this my very first friend? I had prayed about this last night before going to sleep, hoping i'd be sat next to my forever and ever best friend today.

"Stella's a pretty name." The boy said not making eye contact with me while fidgeting with the crayons in front of us.

"So is Chance, I mean um handsome not pretty- mommy says pretty is what you say to describe a girl and you're a boy-" Chance started to laugh cutting me off.

"Whats funny?" I asked feeling my cheeks heat up.

"Do you always talk this much?" He asked me covering his mouth with his hand to stop his laughs.

"Oh um, I don't think so. I'm just nervous, I begged god last night to meet my best friend today." I confessed looking down at my hands thinking I was being silly.

"Wait- really? No way so did I!" Chance said gasping  as he glanced to make sure Miss.Avery was still busy.

"Well than you're in luck Chance, I'm going to be the bestest best friend you're ever going to have." I said holding up my pinky.

"Hey no pinky promises are for girls." Chance said whisper shouting at me.

"No it's not silly, pinky promises are for best friends, duh." I said.

And that was it. That was how Chance and I became best friends. Ever since that day we had been inseparable. We would sit together on the bus ride to and from school. Everyday Chance would walk to my house to walk with me to the bus stop and then walk me home on his way home (unless he was coming over to hang out or I was going to his house). 

Our parents joked about us growing up and falling in love. Except we never did. We've known each other since we were five and now were twenty. And my oh my how things have changed. 

Chance dad passed away when we were eight, he had a baby with my ex best friend, he won the contest boyband and now he's practically famous, and now i'm going to Stanbridge University, and well..i'm engaged. 

I haven't told Chance yet since we haven't seen each other since before he left Seal Beach to go to Los Angeles. You don't tell your best friend you're engaged in a text or over the phone. But that all changes today. Chance will be home for the first time since the engagement and I can finally tell him.