Part 4

The next day, Yuzu introduces us to the other boys in Team 2-C. There's so many of them that I can't remember all of their names. They're certainly less interesting than the ones I already knew. They barely even mutter hellos before returning to whatever they're doing. It seems we won't have much time to relax before we have to train. I take one of the books Yuzu suggests to me and begin reading. 

Ibiki glances at me. "Hah! He leaves her in the end."

I glare at him. "Why would you do that?! Now you've ruined it!"

He snickers. "Oh, sorry."

Angrily, I set the book down. "Well, now there's no point to read it."

Shuhei looks up at me. "Do you mind if I borrow it?"

"No, go ahead. I can't even read it now, thanks to Ibiki."

"He does that all the time," Yuzu sighs. "I've gotten used to it. Now, I just ignore him when I'm reading something."

"You told me you couldn't hear me!" Ibiki huffs.

Yuzu rubs the back of his head apologetically. "Sorry. I didn't want to offend you."

"Just seeing your face offends me."

"That's rude!"

"So?" I smile to myself. Even though they argue and call each other names, I can tell they're good friends. It doesn't make any sense to me, but not everything does. 

Yuzu launches himself onto Ibiki's bunk, landing on him. "Why are you so mean to me?!"

"Get...off...of...me..." Ibiki wheezes. "You're...heavy..."

"So?" Yuzu shoots back. Ibiki groans and shifts, throwing Yuzu to the floor. Yuzu gets up and gives Ibiki and tearful look. "That hurt, Ibiki. You're so cruel!"

Ibiki sighs. "Geez, calm down. I'm sorry, alright, but you're such a pain."

Yuzu beams. "It's fine! I forgive you, Ibiki!"

"Whatever," he replies, going back to his book.

Kotaro suddenly appears. "Tch, such children."

I frown. "We are just kids, Kotaro."

His face twitches. "I am nothing like any of you. Don't include me in your stupid antics."

"Kotaro, you aren't much older than us," Yuzu points out.

"And what does that matter? My intelligence surely surpasses any of you."

Ibiki begins laughing so hard, tears run down his face. "That's funny, coming from you. Or have you forgotten that incident?"

Kotaro's lips curl. "How could I, when you remind me every chance you get?"

"Then you should probably get off your high horse and accept the facts, genius."

Kotaro's eyes flash dangerously. "Don't tell me what to do, Ibiki."

Quickly, I interject, "I think we get the point. We should all just calm down now."

Kotaro faces me, slightly calmer now. "Yes, we should. It's stupid to get so worked up when we will most likely die together."

"We're not dying, Kotaro. Remember what I said?" I respond.

He cocks his head at me. "Hmm. Of course I do. I just wonder how you can be so hopeful. Do you know how many people have died in this war?"

"Um...millions?"

"3,500,342," Ibiki supplies. I glance at him, surprised. I wasn't aware he knew the exact number.

"Exactly. What makes you think we won't add to that number?"