Part 9

The next morning, we decide to stay in the shrine until the following day. Many of us have injuries and need to recover, including Corporal. Also, we don't have any more orders and we need to stay here until we receive them. The mood is still somber, but not as bad as it was the night before.

As I sit there, thinking to myself, I suddenly get an idea. We should sing again and the lyrics start flowing into my head. I turn to tell Shuhei, but he seems to have had the same idea. He's clutching his guitar and he nods when I look at him. I clear my throat, drawing a few people's attention.

"I stare sadly at the mound. My sobbing is the only sound. As he lays deep underground. When before we had been bound. The one that I had crowned. Maybe someday he'll be found."

Now, I have everybody's attention as I begin the chorus, "I will never give in, or else I'll never win. The mask, I must don. So that I may go on. I'll keep going through, and I'll live for you."

Shuhei takes the next verse, "The pain simply grows, like the thorn of a rose. From my eyes, the wetness flows. When suddenly, the wind blows. As if somehow it knows, the very depths of my woes."

Together, we harmonize, "I will never give in, or else I'll never win. The mask, I must don. So that I may go on. I'll keep going through, and I'll live for you."

I continue, "I can't just sleep forever. And all ties, I can't just sever. Or fill the hole with whoever. I must stick to my endeavor. And take any type of weather."

The chorus comes again. "I will never give in, or else I'll never win. The mask, I must don. So that I may go on. I'll keep going through, and I'll live for you. I will never give in, or else I'll never win. The mask, I must don. So that I may go on. I'll keep going through, and I'll live for you. For you, I must keep fighting. For history, I'll be rewriting." With a few last chords on the guitar, the song ends. Everyone claps for us, but I'm not done.

I breathe deep and take a few seconds to gather myself before starting another song. Shuhei, as usual, is right with me. "I push with all my might. I know I can fight. When I hear a sigh in the night. I know everything is all right."

The chorus comes, "I've got to keep going through. It's all I can do. I've got to be happy, too. And it's all for you."

"I can't hear your song. And I know that you're gone. It's been so long, but it still feels wrong," Shuhei sings, his voice sad.

"I've got to keep going through. It's all I can do. I've got to be happy, too. And it's all for you."

I don't even realize my eyes are closed. "No matter what I do. I feel no closer to you. And is it true, that I'll get what I'm due?" The chorus rolls around again. "I've got to keep going through. It's all I can do. I've got to be happy, too. And it's all for you."

I finish, "Can you see, that we can free? Like we always wanted to be? And it's all for me."

A/N: Again, I apologize for my horrible songs. I just don't want to use ones that have been used a million times. And I think the songs are fitting for the story. Also, I'm sorry if the songs are sad rather than happy, but they need to be in this situation. And I'm not very good at writing happy songs. 

Finally, I realize my eyes are closed and I open them only to find praising faces before me. Some have tears in their eyes, but smiles on their faces. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or not. Yuzu runs up to me and throws his arms around my neck.

"Ack!" I protest.

"That was amazing, Ran! You're such a good singer!" He turns from me to Shuhei, giving him the same treatment. "And you, Shu! Didn't think I forgot you, did you?"