Part 20

A/N: To be honest, I have no clue where this story is going! In the last part, I planned on having Kotaro set fire to Ranmaru's office in an attempt to kill him, but that's not how it worked out! I'm as surprised at the turn of events as you all are! Let's see how the rest of this story unfolds together, shall we? Enjoy, my lovely cookies!

When we arrive back at base, all Hell has broken loose. Our own comrades are fighting each other. We have no clue what to do in this situation. We dismount our horses and, leaving them standing there, begin to make our way through the battle. Blood spatters the grass and bodies are strewn everywhere. I don't know how long this has been going on.

I spot Ruychiru and make my way over to him. "What the Hell is going on?!" I shout.

"It's the General, sir! He's let the enemy in! However, some of our people are helping him!"

"Damn him," I curse. "Where is he?!"

"I don't know, sir! I lost sight of him when the battle started!"

"How long has this been going on?"

"Since midday. I don't think we'll last much longer. We can't kill our own comrades and some have deserted. I don't know what to do, sir!"

"Just stay here and try to keep as many of ours alive as possible, even the ones who turned. I'm going to find Kotaro and end this." I draw my sword and charge into the fray. I glance back to Ruychiru knocking out and tying up those who rebelled. That will have to do for now. I curse Kotaro with everything I have. He'll definitely pay for this. It all ends tonight.

I lose track of how many of the enemy I kill. The night wears on and still the battle rages. It's one of the longest in the history of this war. And one of the bloodiest. It'll be daylight soon and I have to end everything before any more die. I look around through the carnage, searching for that familiar face. The face of the one person I need to kill to stop this. A song enters my mind as I fight on.

A/N: Again, sorry for the crappy lyrics! Please don't hate me for my crap songs!

The grass had been green, before this very scene. In the air, birds used to fly. Now, it's cut with a cry. The battle will rage on, until we're all gone. There's blood all around, it soaks into the ground. There's carnage everywhere, but the gore I will wear. Not a drop will I shed, 'til my enemies are all dead. On the ground are bodies, it's one of my favorite hobbies. Fighting is all I can do, the end is coming soon. To the monster I give in, or else we'll never win. 

There's blood all around, it soaks into the ground. There's carnage everywhere, but the gore I will wear. Not a drop will I shed, 'til my enemies are all dead. The scent of metal fills the air, I breathe deep without a care. Blood stains my face, only to be gone without a trace. The coppery taste drives me crazy, until everything becomes hazy. There's blood all around, it soaks into the ground. There's carnage everywhere, but the gore I will wear. Not a drop will I shed, 'til my enemies are all dead.

That's when I spot him, Kotaro. He's standing back, smiling like this is the best thing in the world. I fight my way over to him. "Kotaro! It's over! I know the truth now and I'm not letting you get away with what you've done!"

"You don't understand, do you?"

"Understand what?! That you're completely insane?!"

"This war can never end!" His eyes are demented, he's nearly frothing at the mouth. "I met you because of this war! If everyone dies, I'll have you to myself! Nobody will ever come between us again!"

Somehow, I'd lost Shuhei. It's just Kotaro and I in this area. Buildings burn behind me, lighting up the blackness around us. "Even if there was no one else in this world, I'd still never be yours! I'd rather kill myself!"

He snarls. "I'm doing all of this for you! I'm trying to show you how much I love you!"

"This isn't love, Kotaro! You're mad if you think so! All this time, I was trying to stop the deaths and you knew! You knew there was no reason it was still going on! You kept it going!" Tears run down my face and I shake my head. "If you really loved me, you would've stopped it. If you really cared, you would never have done all the things you did." 

"I can never please you, can I?! It's that Shuhei, isn't it?! Why are you so obsessed with him?!"

"Because I love him!" I shout. "He had my heart and always will! I can't give you what you want! I'm ending this, here and now! Don't fight me, Kotaro!"

"I won't let you get away! Once I get rid of that meddling Shuhei, we can be together forever!"

"NO!" I step forward. "I won't let you! I'll stop you! Kotaro, I'll kill you if you force me to!" I point my sword at him. Before I can react, he grabs the blade with his hand and jerks it from my grip. He tosses it away and points his own sword at me.

"Stay, Ran. I'll be back for you."

"NO!" I leap at him, taking us both to the ground. I feel metal pierce my abdomen and I cry out. We struggle on the ground for a while. Finally, he manages to shove me off and stand up.

He places the blade to my throat. "Look at what you've made me do!"

I gain my feet, holding my abdomen with my hands, blood pouring through my fingers. "I'm not letting you hurt Shu. If I have to die to prevent that, then I gladly give my life."

"You're willing to die, give up, for him?!"

Without hesitation, I reply, "Absolutely. For once, I'd give up my fight for someone. It was always him. My life has been built around him and only him. So, you see Kotaro, I have nothing left for anyone else. He's the only one who has such control over me. And he doesn't even know it."

"Fine. If you have nothing to give me, then you're useless to me. I won't relish in killing you, as I will your beloved Shuhei, but I must do this. Just know that I'll never forget you." He raises his sword. I stare deep into his eyes, unflinching, as I await my death. In slow motion, I watch the blade fall. Blood spills onto me, soaking me further in red, but I feel no extra pain. What...just happened?