Chapter 16~The consultation

"Done" I said as a shut the car bonnet.My grandad strolled out of the office.

"Alright get those overalls off so and we'll go" He told me.

I took off my overalls and then we drove to the appointment.
————————————————————————
We got to the check in,where Emma Barton stood behind the desk.

"Harry"She said with a smile

"Hi"I replied awkwardly.

There was an awkward silent pause where she just smiled at me.

"Is Sarah and Debbie already gone in?"My grandad Cain asked breaking the silence.

"Yeah am go right through"Emma told us.

We went through the door in to an office where my mum and Sarah were seated near a desk with a consultant on the opposite side.

My mum gave my grandad and me a glare

"We got held up,thanks for waiting"My grandad said sarcastically.

My mum sighed and looked back towards the consultant.

"It still has really bad side effects though,sore throat,she won't be able to eat,she can't swallow"my mum continued.

"You can discuss all this with the oncologist. They can interrupt the treatment if it gets too tough,give Sarah a break"The consultant replied.

"But then it's going to take even longer"My mum sighed.

"What about this other type of radio therapy, proton-beams"I asked.

The consultant looked down and then back up at Sarah.

"This is the boring part where I have to do all the referral forms,why don't you pop back in and see nurse Emma"He told Sarah.

"You want to talk about me behind my back,I get it"Sarah stated as she got up and left.

The consultant then looked over at me.

"What no,I'm staying"I told him.

"Harry"my grandad began.

"Leave him we aren't doing this now"My mum said which caused my grandad to shut up.

My grandad sat in the now vacant chair.

"Um,we know it's not your bog-standard treatment but there are places that do it right?" My grandad enquired.

"In theory"The consultant started "But with Sarah's condition,I don't think she'll be a candidate"

"She's a kid with cancer,what more do you need?"I replied.

"I'm not an oncologist but decisions are made around whether the benefit to the patient are significant,long term"The consultant explained.

"Ok she's not going to live 'til she is 90 but she's not in the scrap heap"My grandad stated.

"Anytime that I can buy my little girl is worth it"my mum said.

"Of course,and in an ideal world we'd offer everyone the treatment but there just simply is not enough resources"The consultant agreed.

"Well then we're done here"My grandad announced with annoyance whilst heading to the door

"Thanks for nothing"I added,following him.

"I don't want to raise yours or Sarah's hopes but if you want to go private and your convinced this is the best option,I will support ye in anyway that I can"The consultant comforted my mum.

Grandad and I left the room in a mood.When we reunited with Sarah in the waiting room though we had to act all happy and hopeful.
————————————————————————
We got back to Zak and Lisa's and I decided to go for a run.I got to the village but stopped when I saw Lucy walking on her own.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing out here on your own"I asked her.

"Walking to the pub to meet my deranged mother"She replied.

"Oh sounds fun,can I join?"I joked sarcastically.

"I doubt your the guy she would want to see on my arm"She revealed with a grin.

"Ouch"I said "That was a big blow to my self-esteem".

"Oh well with the size of your ego,I'm sure you'll survive" She laughed.

"Well with a body like this you'd love yourself too"I said showcasing my abs.

"See ya"She said as she entered the pub.

"If your lucky"I shouted.

She laughed as the doors closed behind her.
————————————————————————
That night I was sleeping when I was suddenly woke up by someone shutting the door.

I jumped up.It was Belle.

"What the hell are you doing"I asked sighing heavily with relief ,

"Nothing"She replied.

"Oh so you always come home at...."I picked up my phone to check the time "2:30 in the morning when you've got college in the morning."

She looked down with guilt.

"No I didn't think so"I stated.

"I was just out around.Why do you care anyway?"She questioned.

"Because you woke me up."I answered "Your not drunk"I added.

"Yes I'm aware"She replied.

"So if your coming in this late,you've obviously done something and if your not drunk then it must have been with someone who you aren't supposed to be with"I thought aloud.

"What no I was just out".She said,getting flustered.

"Oh"I said as I figured it out.

"What?"She asked me.

"I know,you've been out doing the deed with a mystery man"I whispered.

"Oh shut up"She ordered quietly as her cheeks began to turn to red.

I laughed "Oh my god you really are a crap liar" I told her.

"Ssh"She said "Please someone's going to hear".

"And we wouldn't want anyone to know about your little ronde-veau"I smirked.

"Ok you're right but please don't tell anyone they'd kill me"Belle begged.

"Fair enough"I replied "As long as you do me a favour".

"What is it"She asked.

"I don't know yet but whenever I do you have to promise to help me out,ok"I explained.

"Ok,deal"Belled agreed.

As she headed upstairs and I got back under my duvet on the couch Belle whispered "By the way instead of saying ronde-veau just say sex!".

I giggled as I laid back and fell asleep.