Does This Help?

Ruby’s Point of View

I awoke with a stuffy nose and a sore throat.

“Damn…” I mutter, my voice practically gone. I reluctantly get up, since the bills aren’t going to pay themselves, even though I really didn’t feel well enough to go to work.

I get dressed for work, and check to see that its 9:15 A.M. I overslept slightly, but my shift didn’t start until 10. I see Emma standing in the kitchen, waiting for her toast to pop in the toaster.

“Bye Emma. I’m going to work.” I announce, my voice barely audible.

“Oh hell no you aren’t.” She announces, walking over to me.

“Emma, yes I am. I already missed work a few days ago, and someone needs to pay the damn bills.” I say again, my throat killing me with every word spoken.

“Nope. No you aren’t. You are going to put on something comfortable, and get your ass either in bed or on that damn couch. You hear me?” Emma says sternly, obviously not letting me win this damn argument.

“Fine.” I mumble, heading back upstairs. As I head up the stairs, I hear Emma talking to someone on the phone, but I don’t think much of it.

I slide on another one of my many pairs of sleep pants, this one also black, and slide on the shirt Mark gave me. It smelled like him, and it gave me comfort.

When I went back downstairs, I sat down on the couch and Emma brought me over a mug full of something hot.

“What’s this?” I ask, my voice still scratchy, and it hurt like hell to talk.

“Its tea. With two sugars, just how you like it. I’ll be right back with some medicine.” Emma states, walking back over to the kitchen.

“Emma, I’m not, like, five. I can take care of myself.” I state before blowing on my tea, taking a small sip. The warm liquid burns, yet soothes my aching throat.

“Bitch, I don’t care! I know you hate being sick, so I’m going to make sure you stay sick the least amount of days as possible.” Emma states, and I smile as she brings me over a shot glass full of medicine.

“Thanks.” I say, downing it and taking another sip of my tea to wash out the nasty taste.

“Of course! Oh, and even though I won’t be able to take care of you, I found someone who will.” And just as Emma says that, there’s a knock at the door.

Emma walks over to the door, and hugs Mark as he enters into the house.

“Ta Da!” Emma smiles, and Mark just gives me a goofy smile and waves at me.

“Good. You’re gonna be my bitch for the day.” I laugh, but my throat immediately hurts after. I take a sip of my tea, and it feels slightly better.

“I guess I deserve that.” He smiles, and Emma interrupts our little, awkward conversation. 

“Well, I have to go. Get well Ruby! And thanks again Mark.” She smiles as she kisses him on the cheek before heading out the door.

After she left, Mark stood, and I sat there in a very awkward silence. The only noise coming from me drinking my tea.

“You know, Mark…” I start, my voice still scratchy sounding. “You can sit down if you want.” I smile, and he nods before sitting down in the chair to my left.

There was yet another awkward silence, before Mark looked over at me and smiled.

“What?” I ask before taking another sip of my tea.

“You… You’re wearing my shirt…” He trails off, blushing.

“Oh… I’m sorry. Did you want it back?” I ask, and Mark just chuckles.

“No! I’m just glad you like it.” He smiles, and I blush.

“Yeah… It’s nice, and it gives me comfort.” I say, and Mark smiles at me.

There was, you guessed it, another silence, but it wasn’t awkward this time. It was, peaceful. I started to get uncomfortable in my seat, though, and I shifted slightly into another uncomfortable position.

“You ok?” Mark asked me, and I just gave him a small smile.

“Yeah, I just can’t seem to get comfortable.” I state.

“Well, does this help?” He asks, and he stands up, sitting down next to me. He wraps his arm around me, and I lean my head on his chest. “Is this better?” He asks, looking down at me, and I blush and smile.

“Umm… Yeah. It’s really nice.” I smile, snuggling into his chest.

The same smell that was on the shirt I was wearing was what I was smelling on Mark, but only stronger. I couldn’t exactly place the smell, aftershave maybe, but I didn’t care. I could hear his heartbeat, and the rise and fall of his chest began to make me tired.

“Mark… Can you tell me a story?” I ask, and Mark chuckles, making my head move slightly.

“I’d love to.” He smiles, and I close my eyes as Mark begins to tell his story. Hearing Marks voice makes me drowsy, and I can’t help but smile as I drift off into sleep. 

A/N

One more chapter tonight, just because. Plus, I think its adorable :3 

Love you Ladies and Gents 

Sweet Dreams. Or Good Morning. Enjoy your cereal. Or sandwitch. Or whatever you happen to be eating at the moment. I'm getting weird again. 

Night Lovelies. 

*KarateChop!*