21. Alexa

I needed to run.

I needed to escape.

I needed to rip the feathers off of my back.

But most importantly, I needed a smoke. Nicotine wasn't gonna do it in that moment.

I needed some good ol' weed.

My dealer lived in town. She was a high school dropout, started on meth in seventh grade according to her.

Darlein sold drugs and failed school and she still had a soft pair of white wings.

I was a top student. I was a druggy. I was growing wings.

I shoved open the doors to the school. Sunlight shone into my eyes. I squinted and swore.

Feathers tickled when they grew. Who was looking at me when they came? Was it Alexander?

I shook my head and stared at the yellow door. I could hear Darlien's music and a couple other people inside. I knocked.

The door swung open. With yellowed skin and sunken in, grey eyes, Darlien wasn't exactly a sight for sore eyes. She smiled with her cracked lips. "Hey, sugar." Her voice was raw and cracked from years of smoking. She was a prime example of why I quit the hard stuff. "What can I do for you?"

"Cannabis. Pure."

Darlien sighed, tugging at the oversized, stained purple shirt clinging to her malnourished body. "Sorry, sweet thing," she said, brushing stringy black hair from her face. "All out. You'll have to go to Killgrand."

I growled. Killgrand was the overarching dealer of our county. He was known for being violent and perverted.

"Sorry, baby cakes. Wanna come in?"

I glanced into the smoke filled house. Local crazy lady, Lynn Mends lay, bare ass naked, on the couch, a needle hanging out of her dark arm. She glanced up at me with her brown eyes and gave me a crooked, yellow smile.

I grimaced. "Sorry, Dar. I'm just gonna go over to Killgrand's. Can I borrow your car?"

Darlien gave be a gnarled smile. "Of course. Come on in, dollface."

I smiled weakly and stepped inside, hit instantly with the sickening, chemical scent of meth being smoked.

Darlien lead me into the kitchen, where Matt Yager, Darlien's younger brother, leaned against the crusty counter. He wore stained blue jeans and no shirt, plainly flaunting the abs he'd worked so hard to achieve.

A cigarette hung from between his puckered lips. He looked at me with a lazy smile, his pale blue eyes standing out from his black hair hanging into his face. Dark stubble adorned his sharp jawline. "Hey, babygirl."

I smiled at him. "Hey, Matt."

He and I had been on again, off again for years. Neither of us ever grew more feathers around each other, so we were fairly sure it was just sex. But it was damn good sex.

"Back for me?" He asked with a smirk. He pushed himself off of the counter, pelvis first, and walked towards me.

"I'll go get the keys," Darlien giggled.

Matt wrapped his tanned, muscular arm around my waist, pulling me against his body.

I looked into his blue eyes.

He leaned down to my ear. His breath was hot against my skin. He took the edge of my ear into his mouth and nibbled just slightly. My hands drifted up to his chest.

He let go. "Want a drag?"

As he pulled away from me, he held his cigarette out to me. I nodded and he lead the cigarette to my lips. I stared at him as I took in the smoke and blew it back to my side.

Matt smirked. His hand tightened on my hip. "You are so fucking hot, you know that?"

"You're one to be talking." I pushed my hips against him, feeling that half chub he was rocking.

Darlien walked back in. Matt kissed my neck as I turned to her, but let go of me. Darlien handed me the keys.

"Where you goin?" Matt asked.

"Killgrand's place."

"Oh, no you're not. I'll drive. Let's go."

I looked at him and just couldn't say no.