34. Alexander

I'd never felt anything quite like kissing Alexa Roman. For a moment, everything melted away and even with a fucking hole in my shoulder, I felt safe and okay. Maybe I'd wanted to do this since I'd met Alexa.

Apparently she didn't want it.

She shoved me away and screamed at me and left.

"I don't care." That's the last thing she said before she left.

Well, fuck. This Killgrand asshole may have shot me through the shoulder, but Alexa shot me through the heart. It was cheesy and dumb but it felt the same as the first time Gracie had hit me.

I think I must have shut down when the front door closed, because a few days passed without me saying a word. I tried to sleep.

It was like a break from being real. I just stepped out, promising I'd be back soon.

I wished she'd promised to come back soon.

I checked my phone on the third day. It was on 40% and full of unread messages from my teachers and friends and Gracie and... oh god, my parents.

I called them as soon as I'd regained composure. Yes, I'm fine. Car broke down, staying with a friend in Marlowburough, be home soon. My phone just got out of the rice I've been keeping it in. I love you too. Bye.

How was I going to hide a bullet hole?

Darlien told me that if I could manage to keep my shirt on, that no one would ever know that I'd been actually shot. My mind raced to Gracie. What about her? What if she wanted- did- took from me?

Darlien promised me up and down that the wound was massively healed. The muscles just couldn't be overworked. Gracie loved being held...

I went home and put off any explanations until I could see Liz. She'd know what to do.

*******

woah holy heck this is like 60 reads away from 2k and i'm??? so thankful??? wow oh my god this is like a step towards my dream of being a critically acclaimed author. like it's a small platform but it's a starting point, and i'm damn proud of it.

thank you all for your support.