45. Alexa

I didn't feel anything during the day. When I was out, drinking, fucking, and fighting, no emotion held me down. There was none of this sad bullshit to make me wanna shoot up til I was higher than the stars, just so I could splat on the ground. None of this misty-eyed, sniffly nose, my throat hurts from trying to hold in screams shit.

That only came on when I was alone, staring with burning eyes at the wall or the ceiling or my empty bottle of whiskey. That's when I remembered that the bags of feathers I fought at night were people, who had to go home to their families with black eyes and split lips. That's when I remembered that the only home I'd ever had was gathering dust if it hadn't already been broken into. That's when I remembered Alexander. That's when I remembered Jessica.

It was absolute shit.

It was even more shit when I decided to hunt one down. Marcus Grange. He was the person behind the face I'd beaten the shit out of a few days prior. I used his name and found his address. I knocked on the door.

A pretty woman with blonde hair and a baby on her hip opened up. "Can I help you?"

Anxiety and guilt flooded my chest. "Um, y-yeah.." I cleared my throat. "My name's Alexa. I just wanna talk to Marcus. I-Is he here?"

The woman looked at me with skepticism in her eyes. I wouldn't trust me either.

"Stay right here. I'll go get him."

She closed the door. I ran my hand through my hair. Fuck, what was I even gonna say? This guy had kids for fuck's sake. I beat the ever loving shit out of a father. No wonder his wings were so full... He had a loving family.

The door reopened and Marcus stood there, one of his green eyes swollen shut. He seemed surprised to see me there, and quickly shut the door behind him, whispering to me, "What the hell are you doing here?"

I couldn't stand to look at him like that. The ground seemed so much more appealing. "I-I'm sorry, I just... I n-needed to say that, um... I'm sorry. I just... I-I have a lot of, u-um, pent up anger and shit, and--"

Marcus stopped me. "Shut up. I don't wanna hear it. Don't ever bother my family again. And get off my damn property before I call the cops."

My head pounded but I stepped back and ran away from that house.

Just like I run away from everything else in my life.

...

YOOOO WTF. I haven't logged on in a while (due to severe writer's block) and I come back and Wings is literally at 6.3K reads??? Woah!!! holy heck!! Tysm!!

I was wondering if y'all could just comment something here? I'm trying to figure out how many people are really reading this vs how many people keep re-reading this (*cough cough* Todd). This is good data for when I pitch an edited version to a publisher. I know Wattpad has a tool for this, but, honestly, since when was Wattpad dependable?

So, just like, comment your favorite character or favorite moment in the story thus far!! It'll help me a lot. I'll even start; my favorite character is Liz and my favorite moment thus far was probably Alexa's dream with Jess and Alexander.