28. Alexander

I was falling again, with no wings to hold myself up. It didn't feel like I was falling though. It felt like I was melting into the sky. It was embracing me, wrapping its arms around me.

It felt like I was dying in the softest, sweetest way possible.

I fell into some reality. Arms were wrapped around me, and mine around someone else. We stood in an empty, black, nothingness. It was the opposite of where I'd last been before the floor gave out, where it had been a huge white room.

Gracie was in my arms, crying. I recognized her perfume.

"Alexander?" A soft, familiar voice asked from behind us.

I craned my neck to see Alexa standing there, holding flowers. I felt confusion contort my face.

"Why would you do this to me?" She asked. The flowers melted like ice, allowing me to see the hilt of a knife buried deep in her gut. "Why?"

I pushed Gracie away to reach for Alexa. With my first step in her direction, the ground gave out and I started to fall yet again. Gracie reached down and grasped my shoulder in her tiny hand, holding me up. Her palm burned my skin, eyes glowing in the darkness of that damn room.

"You need me," she growled, face turning up into a twisted smile. "You're nothing without me. You will die without me, Alexander. You love me."

"Let me go!" I shrieked, feeling my skin melt beneath her acidic grip. "Let go of me!"

"I'll never, ever let you go," she promised, her eyes conveying her demented intent. "You're mine." She began to fade into nothingness, thankfully. "Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine..."