29. Alexa

Matt and I carried Alexander inside. Darlien looked horrified for only a moment before she resumed her calm composure.

"Set him on the couch," she demanded. "Move your fat ass, Serena," she snapped at the probably-half-dead chick passed out on the couch she'd suggested.

The whole house smelled like crack and weed and shit. I couldn't imagine living here, even if I'd spent three months here after Jessie...

I shook my head, shifting those memories back to the shadows of my brain where they belonged.

Alex needed me in the front seat of the damn truck. I'd gotten him into this and I would get him out.

Serena moved off the couch with a groan and Matt set Alex down.

"Any exit wound?" Darlien asked me, her eyes stern and serious for once. I shook my head. "Damn. Means the bullet's still in there."

I nodded. "Matt, go grab a clean shirt and the tweezers. And some towels. This is gonna get messy."

Matt, his face contorted in horror and panic, rushed out of the room. I was reminded why that boy never grew feathers around me — he was an idiot when it mattered.

Alex whimpered suddenly in his silenced state. I looked at his angelic face, watching his eyebrows come together and down. I wondered what he was dreaming about.

I brushed the hair off his forehead. His skin was hot and sticky. I grimaced.

"Get a cold towel, too!" Darlien called. I felt her eyes land on me. "Is he the reason you're in this mess?"

I nodded.