C or something like that

I arrived at Mr. Thompson's house and went about my work, making breakfast for him. I heard someone clear their throat, making me jump. I turned to see Davis standing there.

He said nothing. Okay, that's not creepy or anything.

"Can I help you?" My tone was filled with forced pleasantries.

"Just making sure you are following the guidelines," he said curtly.

"I assure you, I am," I smiled with gritted teeth.

"Good. I've noticed that you have been a bit careless. Please do not let it continue or I will be forced to dock your pay," he said abruptly.

This shocked me. Was he really going to dock my pay?

"Of course."

"Very well." He turned and left. Great. He must have noticed me leaving with my co-worker. Guess I would have to change that.

I finished preparing breakfast and took it to Mr. Thompson's door and set it on the floor next to it, then turned to leave when I heard the door open. I turned to see a hand reach out and pick it up, promptly closing the door. Shit. I needed to leave before Davis caught me.

Too late. My eyes widen as he stood there with his arms crossed, shaking his head. I gulped as he turned and left. I am such an idiot. I should have kept walking.

The rest of the day I kept myself busy with housekeeping and preparing food. Then I heard someone say, "busy?"

I looked up from setting up the pillows from the couch, "actually yes."

He furrowed his brows.

"I need to make sure everything is good for Mr. Thompson before Davis docks my pay," I explained.

"What do you mean dock," he asked walking towards me.

"I sort of made a mistake, when I caught Mr. Thompson grabbing his tray of food this morning. Davis caught me. I broke rule number 9," I whispered.

"Why are you whispering," he asked in a whisper.

"Because apparently I am being careless," I whispered back.

"Oh."

"I have to get to my work," I said as I turned to leave but stopped. I turned and looked at him, "I never did get your name."

He smiled, "just call me C."

I gave him an odd look and he shrugged.

"Okay C. I have to go. I need to finish up before I meet some friends tonight."

"Oh?"

"It's stupid. I don't even want to go," I shook my head.

"Why not?"

"Because I know they are trying to set me up and I don't really want to be set up," I winced.

"I take it you don't date much?"

"Only a few times and it felt like a chore. Plus, the guys were a little too aggressive," I leaned over and whispered.

"I see."

"Yeah. So not my thing," I said to him.

"Well, maybe, just maybe, you will meet that special someone."

"Thanks but doubt it," I said to him then went back to my work. He turned and walked away. I didn't want to come off as being standoffish but I really couldn't afford to have my pay docked either. I really needed the money.