Chapter 16: nightmares

Mike' PoV:

     We were being chased by a dark shadow. Every step I took I was getting more and more tired. When I finally collapsed, I could hear El scream my name. Then the figure came up to me.

     "Mike!"

     I woke up.

     "Mike! Mike wake up!" She was shaking my shoulders roughly.

     I was sweating a lot.

     "El."

     I started tearing up.

     "Mike," she hugged me and I cried.

     "Are you okay?"

     "I had a nightmare."

     "Bad dream?"

     "Yeah, someone was chasing us. I don't know who though."

     "It's okay, it wasn't real."

     I nodded my head. "Yeah. Night El."

     "Night Mike."

El's PoV:

     I woke up the next morning and Mike wasn't there. He probably woke up to eat something.

     When I walked up the stairs, I saw everyone by the TV.

     "What's going on?"

     "We have to get you two out of here. Now." Mrs. Wheeler said.

     "Why?"

     "Honey, get the car ready. Kids, pack a bag. Your leaving soon." Mrs. Wheeler said ignoring me.

     "Mike, what's going on?" I said to him as we were getting ready to leave.

     "We didn't kill it."

     I was shocked. "What?!"

     "Yeah, we didn't kill it and it's trying to leave the upsidown."

     My eyes widened.

     "Why do we have to leave then? Why can't we just kill it?"

     "Everyone knows why we were missing. They know that we have powers. The lab just said it in the news today. They want to kill us."

     Everything went by in a blur. We left with Mr. Wheeler and Nancy to go to their aunts house more upstate. I was silent the whole time.  I was gripping Mike's hand tightly.

     I didn't want to die. Why would they want to kill us? Why can't we just kill the mindflayer? Questions were filling my mind as we drove. I couldn't handle it. I started to cry and hurried my head into Mike's shoulder.

     "El, it's okay. We're gonna be alright."

     I just kept crying.

     I don't know how long we were driving because I fell asleep. But when we got there. It was dark outside and nobody was in the house.

     Mr. Wheeler had a key so we just went inside.

     It was dark, cold, and everything was dusty.

     "Where's aunt Carrie?" Nancy said to Mr. Wheeler.

     "She went to a retirement home a couple of years ago. She still owns the house though."

     She nodded her head.

     I was still holding Mike's hand.

     "I guess we have to clean up this place then?" Mike said to his dad.