Darkness

Once, at night, while strolling through the streets of Daegu, the silhouette of a man overheard the distant whispers of voices coming from two places. He knew the streets very well and the many dealings that came with the city.

But all who had lived there knew the ultimate rule:

Never cross his path

But one night in particular is when it all began..

When someone did..

~

His footsteps echoed the streets towards his usual meet up at the local rundown bar that was only a few blocks away from his apartment. This was nothing new to him or anyone.

He walked in, sat down on the seat that was specifically reserved for him. The bartender already knowing how much of what he would want, placed it before him without the utterance of a single word. And as usual, once drunken to satisfaction, he left.

His feet marking the ground with every step. Once he turned the corner, he then paused to do something he never did. Reaching into his leather jacket, he pulled out a small box of his friends that burn to calm his nerves.

By the first smoke, he could feel the buzz of the alcohol kick in. By the fifth, he felt his muscles relax. Taking in the sixth, he heard lots of movement.

"Hold still!"
"I would if you'd stop choking me!"

Glancing over in the alley, where the gate stops the road, he could just barely make out the shuffling of feet and the sound of a rustling gate.

"No, stop!"
"I've already paid you, cut it out!"

He pondered weather he should get involved or not as he took in yet another puff of smoke before sticking it back in his mouth as he headed towards the noise. Putting his hand on the man's shoulder, he startled the situation.

"Who the fuck are you?!" The man spat. But he just kept his cool.
"Listen man. I really don't wanna be here in this situation either, but I do believe that the lady just asked you to stop choking her." After handling his zipper, the man turned around and wiped off the hand that was on his shoulder.
"Mind your own damn business. And if you really wanna play, 'Mr. Do-Right', then tell this bitch to give me my money back or take what I paid for."
"Listen man, I'm really not in the mood for this bullshit. I really don't appreciate men that call other women bitches but I really don't want to end a life today. So please, if you don't mind-."
"But I do mind! This bitch owes me!" The man turned to threaten her and he just shrugged.

"Funny how two people ask you nicely to do something and you don't comply. It's even funnier how you wipe off my clean hand with your dirty one. It seems like I may just have to start speaking your language and teach you some manners to carry over into your next life."
He said as he prepared to endure the first strike. "Come on. But I must warn you.. I have anger issues. You fight me and you lose, you die. If I lose, you'd better kill me. The only rule that will save you for mercy of living is,

Don't knock off my hat.."

The first punch was thrown, which hit him in the face, knocking off the man's only cry for mercy. "You just signed your death certificate."

The woman watched in fear that if she moved, she might get hit. The fighting itself seemed normal until the common wail of those who fought this man was heard. She watched in horror as he dislocated the man's jaw and shoulders. Seeing that he was seemingly planning to spill his organs all over the brick streets, she shrieked in horror. But he was too deep in the darkness to come back.

The final mark was made when the unmistakable sound of a neck breaking was heard. It was now official.

The man..

was dead.

Scraping up his hat, he dusted it off and began walking away as if nothing ever happened.

"Thank you so much for-. Hey! Where are you going? Well can't you at least just tell me your name?"

"Nah." He said as he put his hat back on. "That's not how I roll."