Chapter Thirty Six

Merlin walks sluggishly to the bench where Guise already sits across from. Food, breakfast is already on the table and still warm.

Guise looks up as he sits down. "You slept through all the commotion."

"It was a big party last night Guise, I was tired." Replies Merlin looking down as he begins to play with his food. Suddenly his head snaps up and he looks straight at Guise. "What commotion?"

"Gaheris seems to have vanished. Missy tells Arthur that he went after Gareth, which makes the most sense."

"Missy..."

"Merlin?" Asks Guise as Merlin looks into nothing.

"What?" He says as he looks back to him.

"You've hardly eaten anything in days, not since Missy woke from her coma, but something's been wrong before that. I may be old, but I'm no fool. What is the matter my boy?"

Merlin looks down and says quietly, "Missy... She knows."

"Knows what?" Asks Guise critically.

"About my magic."

"Merlin! How many times do I have to tell you to-"

"Be careful, I know. But you don't understand Guise, Morgana was there and she was going to kill Missy and Gwaine both. What was I supposed to do? Let them die?" He asks, pleading for him to understand.

"No, of course not." Says Guise. "But what of Gwaine? And of Morgana? Do they know as well?"

"No. He wasn't fully awake, and I was hidden from Morgana. They saw nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." Says Merlin.

"Has Missy... Do you think she will say anything...?" Asks Guise.

"No. No, I don't think she will. Remember the prophecy the Great Dragon told me?"

"The one you think is about Missy?"

"Yes." Responds Merlin. "I really think it is Guise. She knows things. She says she knows of a terrible battle that is supposed to happen. She says she wants to stop it, prevent it."

Guise swiftly picks up a book and brings it down on Merlin's head.

"Ow." Merlin says. "Why did you do that?"

"You should have told me this as soon as you knew about it." Guise scolds him.

"Sorry." Merlin says as he rubs his head.

"How does she know about this battle?"

"She wouldn't say."

There's a moment of silence and tension between them.

Merlin then asks, "Do you think maybe she can, Guise? Stop this battle, stop Arthur's doom? Stop Mordred?"

"I don't know Merlin." Guise tells him honestly. "I don't know."

...

"I ask you Lamorak, never to do outrageously nor murder, and always to flee treason; also, by no mean to be cruel, but to give mercy unto them that ask mercy, upon pain of forfeiture of their worship and lordship of me, King Arthur for evermore; and always to do ladies, damsels, and gentlewomen succor upon pain of death. Also, that no man take no battles in a wrongful quarrel for no law, for no world's goods. Will you do all that I ask?" Says Arthur to Lamorak

"Yes." Is his answer.

King Arthur's sword goes on one shoulder and then the next.

"Arise Sir Lamorak, Knight of Camelot."