PART SEVEN - Chapter Forty Two

"I wish I could have seen it, I wish I could have helped you, Mordred." I say to him through the bars of his cell. "Why did you not tell me?"

"You were too busy, with your own life." He says with some bitterness, but mostly sadness.

"You are a part of my life."

"Not anymore. You are too busy, with everyone but me."

"That is not true. I am never too busy for you, my brother." I say as I reach as far as I can into the cells and place my hand on his arm. "What can I do?"

"There is nothing." He says.

He turns away from me, moving his arm so that my hand falls from his. He sits on the ground, head in his hands.

I look to Kara who is sleeping, or probably pretending to, and then I leave.

...

"How did it go?" I ask Mordred as he walks back from his training with Alex.

He doesn't answer me.

"Well?" I ask again, and yet he still does not speak. "Mordred, you can tell me."

He looks up at me and says quietly, "She is always yelling, and saying I am never doing it right."

"She knows what she is doing." I tell him. "But perhaps I could help you."

He looks up with a grin. "Will you?"

"Yes, of course."

His smile widens.

"But you can't tell her I taught you anything." I say in warning. "If she finds out... You know Alex, she has a temper."

Mordred nods his head in understanding as we begin to walk back to the cottage. I tell him that I'll teach him after Alex and the others go to sleep, for now we only sit and eat our end-of-the-day meal.

And as we eat he looks up at me and smiles in happiness, no longer afraid of Alex and her temper. If I can help it, I'll make sure he never has to fear, and will have that smile of happiness, always.

....

I knock on the door, almost hesitantly.

"Enter." The King's voice commands.

I open the door and step in.

He looks up and says, "Missione. I was wondering when I would see you."

I close the door behind me and walk closer to him.

"I have come to ask you to reconsider." I say.

"I haven't decided what is to be done about Mordred yet." He says, almost sadly.

"Not him, Arthur, Kara."

He looks up. "Her fate is sealed."

"Mordred believes her to have a good heart. And I believe him." I say. "So please, if you must punish her, do so by banishment and not by death. Anything but death."

Arthur looks at me for a few moments before saying, "She is dangerous, and has killed many good men."

"I know."

"Then there is nothing more to be said."

"Please." I plead. "For Mordred, please, give her another chance."

He breathes in deeply, then tells me, "I will consider your words."

I nod my head and bow. "Thank you."