Chapter Thirty Seven

"Mordred?" I ask him as I walk over to where he stands by a window.

"Missy." He says with a smile as he turns around.

"What are you doing?"

"Just watching them spare. I think I'm getting better."

"I'll beat you Mordred, always, no matter how much you learn. You know that right?" I say, making fun.

"Yes, I know that. Just as much as I know that I can climb a tree better than you ever will." He responds with his attempt at humor.

"That was one time Mordred, one time."

"Okay, Missy, one time."

I'm leaning up against the window seal just as he is, watching other Knights fight below.

"So what brings this rare visit from you?" Mordred asks.

"Rare? I visit you." I say, but even I can hear the lie beneath it.

"Not lately." There's hostility, and some anger in his tone.

"I've just been busy."

"You're always busy."

Silence.

"Well I'm not now. Why don't we head outside of town and go catch frogs. There's this stream..."

"I don't think so." He says, interrupting me.

"Why not?" I ask.

"I'm sure as soon as I say yes, there will be another reason for you to say no."

"Mordred I-"

"Missy!" Says the breathless voice of Maria as she runs to a stop in front of us. "Ga-Ga-Gareth, and G-Ga-Gah-Gaheris H-have r-r-r-ret-t-t-turned."

"When?" I ask impatiently.

"Ri-Right-t-t-t N-n-n-no-now."

It's only then do I notice Mordred slipping away from my side.

"Mordred wait!" I yell after him.

He doesn't turn around.

"Wait here." I say to Maria before running after Mordred.

I run in front of him and he stops walking. He's looking down.

"It's supposed to be a full moon tonight, Guise says. Let's go catch frogs then, it's the best time."

He doesn't say anything.

"Please?" I plead.

Nothing.

"Fine. I'll teach you that move." I say quietly.

He looks up grinning.

"Okay. Meet at the front of the castle?" He says.

"Yes."

His grin widens. "See you there." And then he is gone.

I turn to Maria, and walk back over to her. "Take me to them."

...

Everyone is standing around, but only a few people stand out, two of them being Gaheris and Lady Lynette. They stand close together, smiling, and laughing. All must have went well. I then shift my eyes over to the faces, looking for one in particular.

Gareth.

Gareth has indeed a very beautiful Lady on his arm, and in fact she is the one from before, only now she is slightly older. I meet his gaze and smile out of relief. He smiles also, but it is probably for something else entirely different. He leans over and whispers something into the Lady- The Lady Lionesses' ear as I walk over towards them.