All My Agony Fades Away When You Hold Me In Your Embrace

I froze at his voice. That voice could whisper things in my ear and make my heart sing, heal every hurt I've ever had, or it could completely and utterly destroy my world. Goosebumps covered me and a shiver threatened to run up my spine. I was pretty sure my heart stopped beating entirely. My entire body was shaking. Every fiber of me wanted me to let him in but I knew couldn't.

"N-n-no" I stuttered. His grin faulted.

"You will do as I say, now let me in." He barked. I flinched at his tone, there's a reason I hate loud noises that aren't music. Now you know.

"Jess?" I heard Alex call while coming down the stairs. As soon as he entered, heat flooded me. To my astonishment I wasn't as scared as before.

"Who's this?" Brent asked, growing tense.

"A-Alex." I responded in a small voice. Alex looked to me in confusion, because of my fear, then cast his gaze to Brent, and I watched it click in his head. I watched the look in his eyes change and saw him tense. 

"Jess step aside." Alex ordered. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to move out of the way. Alex walked up to the door, very close to Brent.

"Get the fuck out of here. This is your only chance at living." Alex stated between gritted teeth.

"You can't compel me." Brent scoffed. 

"I don't need to." Alex snapped. Brent couln't do anything. Alex and I were in the house and he wasn't invited in. There was absolutely no harm he could do. Now Brent may be a jerk but he knew when he was beaten.

"I'll be back for you Jess." He spat, shooting me a look before walking away. Alex shut the door and rushed over to me.

"Are you okay?" He asked urgently, scanning my body for injuries of some sort, even though Brent couldn't even come in.

"Yeah." I answered in a small voice.

"Aw come here." He said as pulled me into a hug. I liked his hugs. They're warm and strong and I can smell his cologne; It smells like cinnamon. I could hear his heartbeat, and I found comfort in it. People underestimate the power of an embrace. Just two bodies being pressed against each other, finding warmth, safety, comfort, protection. And that's how I felt, protected. Like nothing in the world could get me so long as I stayed with Alex. The warmth of this feeling spread through my body like fire as I smiled slightly and hugged him back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Title cred: All I Need by Within Temptation