Chapter 2

The roar of the crowd pierced my ears, but I wouldn't trade it for anything, musical score, silence- none of that would live up to the sound of excited passengers, giving up their lives to go to America on Titanic. A young girl, from third class bumped into me, and fell, obviously in a rush to board. I leaned over to help her up, and check if she was hurt.

"Darling what are you doing?" James asked, as he unloaded the car.

"Just helping this girl, she fell."

"Leave it to the parents, it's not your place to help steerage."

That was the only thing I didn't like about him, he looked down on people. I smiled at the girl, and told her to go to her parents.

"Take them to the parlour suite A" James instructed the driver, as he took my hand. I smiled at him, as we walked to board the ship.

"My hat?" I asked our maid, as I had left it behind. We walked up the ramp, and took a last look at the ships exterior, not knowing what the coming days held.

As we walked to find out room, we gasped at the grandeur of the interior of the ship, we hadn't ever seen anything like it, not even in any of the world famous hotels we'd stayed in. none of them lived up to this. A lot of the people in first class were boarding in Cherbourg, but James wanted to experience the whole thing, and board in Southampton. We entered our room, and people were already in there, unpacking for us. I saw someone go for the suitcase with all of my corsets in.

"No!" I shouted "I mean, let me do that for you." and I lifted it into my bedroom, hoping no one saw. My dresses were all hung in my wardrobe, a rainbow of silk, chiffon, taffeta and cotton, all different types of fabric and jewels neatly lined up for my convenience.

"James? I was hoping that we could have a little look around the boat in a while?" I asked

"Certainly-in an hour?"

I nodded, and then walked out of the room, telling him that I was going to find somewhere to get a drink.

I quickly ran up to the deck, it was 12:00, I hoisted myself up onto the railing, and waved frantically to the crowd, I'd always wanted to do this. I got some looks from steerage and second class passengers, like I shouldn't have been there, but I was, and I shouted and waved like there was no tomorrow. This was going to be a good trip...