Chapter 20

Rain poured down, as I scared into the starry night sky. I wore the same dress that I did a few nights ago- and it did nothing but bring back painful memories. Contemplating my life was the last thing I'd hoped to do- it just hurt, but something drove me to do it, in this moment it felt right.

Can you exchange one life for another? Can you forget true love? If it's possible, the world is a misery, as if true love is forgotten, then there was no love. Can you start from nothing and rise back up? I certainly did, and I wouldn't have if it wasn't for James. To have someone risk their lives for you is the most tragic thing in the world, should they live, should they die, you never know what to feel. Blessed, or guilty. I never did really know or differentiate between the two, as life's a gift- and for someone to throw away that gift for you. That's loves ultimate price.

As we sailed past the Statue of Liberty, I thought over the past few days. Should I have stayed with James? I didn't know, but I was still here, and that's what mattered. The statue was an enlightening hope to me- a symbol of new life. And if all of these other people could start fresh, why couldn't I.

"Can I take your name please?" an officer asked. I paused for a minute.

"Elizabeth, Elizabeth Newton." I replied. I took James's name, it was the right thing to do- and if in 100 years, if Titanic is still remembered, I could be- as the wife of James Newton. That's all I wanted to be remembered as.

As the ship docked in New York, they put the ramps out for us to leave. I uneasily walked down one, ready to start my life in a new city. Staring out to sea, I could picture all of those people that died. The people that gave their lives to the ocean. Mr Andrews, Mr Astor, all of those people- just wanting to be honoured. And they would, they'd be kept safely in my heart, tucked away, and perfectly peaceful. I took off my red coat, I didn't realise how heavy it was before, there was a chill in the air, but I didn't mind. I'd go and make an honest living as a seamstress or something to that effect. There was a figure at the end of the pier, just staring out to the ocean, as I was. My coat clenched in my fist. But I dropped it. That figure was familiar, I left the coat for some lucky steerage passenger to take and keep warm with. Hurriedly, I ran towards that figure. Because it wasn't just any silhouette against the horizon, it was my saviour, my life. The figure turned round just before I flung my arms around it. Because that figure, it was James....