Chapter 19

Blankets were piled onto me, as I'd come out of the water. The absolution that James was dead killed me- and almost drove me over the rails. The saddest thing about the whole experience however, were the women crying to the crew, desperately trying to find their husbands. But I knew. I knew where James was, there was no questioning it. I didn't bother with joining them- there was no point, it would just make the experience more painful.

My dress still clung to my body in the way that it it did when it was wet. I sat with the steerage people, who had managed to get away, there wasn't many. I just sat on a bench of the deck, waiting for accommodation, waiting for someone to help. If I'd have gone to sleep, then I wouldn't have got a room.

Someone tapped on my shoulder

"Miss? are you ok?" She asked

"Well, no, not really."

"Would you like to share my room?"

I just started to cry, I couldn't believe her kindness, I wanted to hug her- someone understood what I'd been through. So we walked up to the room, it was nice. Not as good as my room on Titanic, but I don't think anywhere I ever stayed was as grand as Titanic. The bed however was amazing, it was so comfortable, and finally, I drifted off to sleep.

Without this woman I'd be out, freezing, still wondering about James, something almost drove me to ask, but I didn't. I knew it would be more painful to be certain- at least if he was alive he would be happy, I didn't need to know. There was no point...