Chapter 11

We walked back into the ship, and looked at the grand staircase, and the glass dome, for what would be the last time. Chaos was starting to erupt, as people now knew what fate was lying ahead of us.

"Any more people? Women and Children First!" An officer shouted- James dragged me outside, and Madeline was already in the boat.

"Elizabeth, are you coming in the boat?" she asked me. My mind rushed with thoughts- if I got on, I might not see James again, if I didn't, I could die. "Elizabeth?" she repeated. I looked at her. I looked at the boat. I shook my head, and ran. Ran for my life.That was the last time I ever saw her, I didn't even say goodbye. I didn't know where I was going, so I bolted down the stairs, as far down as I could go, so I could hide. E deck- it was already flooding, the water was freezing , it was waist deep, and I gasped for air as I plunged into it. "Elizabeth!" I heard someone shouting. "Elizabeth!". It was James. "Elizabeth!" he gasped as he saw me "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to die anyway, so why not end it now?" I cried.

"You're going to survive- even if I don't- you have to promise to live, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how cold. You have to promise me this, promise me now- and don't give up on it. Don't give up until you die."

"I promise." he kissed my forehead, and lead me out of the corridors.

"We're going to be fine ok?" James assured me, but I wasn't so certain. We waded through the water until we got to some stairs . My dress was dragging me down with the weight of the water, so James helped me up the stairs. We reached the stairwell that linked the D deck- it was locked. A mass of distressed people were gathered in one stairwell, screaming for their lives. I was now beginning to question the fact that we were going to be fine...