Chapter 16

Traumatised- I screamed. Crying as I did. James was in the path of the funnel.

"NO!" I cried. No one heard me, I knew I wasn't the only one in this situation. I was quite far up the deck, in knee deep water, just stood, screaming and crying. I couldn't believe it. James wasn't anywhere to be seen. I dropped to the floor, putting my head into my palm, James was dead. I'd never see him again. An indescribable feeling of regret, guilt and unbearable sadness possessed me. People were throwing themselves off the edge of the ship now, I was tempted to join them. But I'd promised to survive. I'd promised I'd pull through- so that's what I'd do. James was in a better place, he was gone.

Tears streamed down my face like a waterfall, as I made my way to the forever elevating bow. The best thing to do was hold onto a rail, so I didn't fall. I passed the vicar, that had lead the service just today.

"Hail Mary full of grace" he prayed, with a dozen people clinging onto him for their final blessings. The ship was at a steep angle, and I dragged myself upwards, by the rails. I reached the top of the ship. There was another internal groan, and then the lights flickered, one by one, then all at once turning off. We were plunged into darkness.

Then, the familiar deafening roar of iron snapping pierced my ears. Titanic crashed down to the oceans surface, with a thousand screaming people hanging onto the ship, clinging on for their lives- even though they knew that at some point tonight, they were going to die. It was one of the scariest moments in my life, just trying to hold on and not fall off. With the front of the ship sinking to the bottom of the Atlantic, we were pulled to a vertical position. Looking down into the 2 miles of freezing water, I took a breath, a minute to take it all in as we just stayed on the surface, motionless. The hundreds of people in lifeboats could do nothing but watch, watch us die.

Then, another groan, and quickly now, I took a deep breath, as the ship slipped beneath the oceans surface...