Chapter 21

ok Chapter 21 is up! Yay! So please vote, comment, fan, and most of all enjoy!! =)

Chapter 21

Alyssa’s POV

            We made it back home around noon and I leaped of my horse. I gave the reins to an awaiting guard and he took her to the stables to rest.

            I headed straight towards the kitchen. I was starving. Traveling food is not that appetizing, or filling for that matter. “Margret!” I called as I walked into the kitchen. “We’re back.” She looked up from what she was eating and gave me one of her small rare smiles. I came around beside her and gave her a hug.

            “So… how did it go?” she asked.

            “It was okay. It could have been worse,” I added at the end remembering the kiss with Chase. Although I had almost died, that had made the trip just a little bit better.

            Chase came in at that moment and I smiled at him. He smiled back and wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me to his side. Margret raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. She pushed back her chair and got up and started cooking something. I sat down and Chase next to me. She quickly served me some food, and Chase just sat and watched me eat. Margret had plopped back down and finished her meal after she had sent some food for the king.

I ate and grabbed Chase’s hand and left after a quick good-bye. We walked into the hallway and heard a loud pounding on the front door, which was very odd. Chase gave me a confused look and we headed towards the door.

I pulled it open and we were greeted with a guard. Though, he had on a different uniform then the palace guards here. “Princess,” he greeted and bowed.

I nodded at him. “Who are you, and what brings you here?” I asked.

“I bring news from King Charles and Queen Charlotte,” he said. I nodded and opened the door wider and let him come in.

The guard bowed again and said, “Your highness.” I turned around and sure enough, my father was standing right there.

“What news do you bring guardsmen?” He bellowed.

“The King and Queen told me to tell you that their slaves ran away. They slipped off when you left. They told me to warn you and keep an eye out.” The guard told him.

“They ran away,” he murmured and the guard nodded. “Tell the King and Queen that I will keep a look out for them both. Is that all?” he asked and the guard nodded and bowed and walked out the door. I guess he was eager to leave, or was just in a hurry.  

I watched him as he walked out and I headed for my room. I shut the door behind Chase and sat on the bed. He came and sat down next to me.

“I can’t believe they ran off. What would happen if they were caught?! They could be killed!” I cried and looked at Chase.

Chase’s POV

I didn’t say anything for a moment. I was remembering back to how they looked at each other, with their eyes filled with love. “I know why they ran,” I said and Alyssa looked at me curiously.

“Why?” she asked, “Why would they put themselves in danger like that?”

“Because,” I stated slowly, “Because they couldn’t stand to see each other get hurt like that anymore. They couldn’t do anything about it, and every day, day after day, they would come out with broken bones and scratches and so on. Andrew and Sirena probably decided they would rather risk death with the opportunity to be free and live by their own rules than to have to listen to the king any longer. She had a broken arm Alyssa, do you remember that?” I asked.