Episode 4: Recovery

The next few weeks passed by quickly. The camp was an amazing place to live, there was food, shelter and security. It was perfect. So long as you helped out in some way, everyone was welcome to stay.

Pyrrha and Johnson were kept in seperate tents for the first week while they recovered from their starvation. They were looked after by a nurse called Leanne, who would bend the rules all the time to make sure her patients would be comfortable. She was an older woman who was heavily browned with a smile that could melt your heart and a daisy attitude to match. Pyrrha loved Leanne, because she gave her meat which you weren't supposed to do when someone's been starved. Johnson was the same. Leanne also took care of their mental psyches through caring counseling sessions that had the two feeling a million times better. They all became the best of friends quite quickly.

Once they were able to, Pyrrha and Johnson were set out for some light work. Johnson started learning how to grow vegetables with the boys while Pyrrha was with the majority of the women learning how to sew and knit all over again. They all met a lot of people and made many friends, which was hard to do these days. Pyrrha did, however, feel uncomfortable to start with. She felt like the new kid on the block and she just didn't belong, the reason being was because of the various self-inflicted scars that were on her, which she made a huge effort to hide. It wasn't just that, but the community virtually interrogated them in every conversation, asking questions and poking around in matters that weren't their's to begin with.

Guess everyone just forgot how to use manners at some point of the 17 year-long war.

When Pyrrha and Johnson started regaining some more build they were both sent to learn how to shoot. It had been a while since Johnson had felt the weight of a Lancer assault rifle and struggled to hold it straight as he was shooting. Pyrrha, however, insisted to learn how to use the Longshot sniper rifle, which required her to take her time and found that it was much easier than having to use a bulky weapon like the Lancer on the fly. After a few sessions the two got the hang of shooting again and were even sent out on the odd patrol from time-to-time. Pyrrha ended up pulling stag duty, which required her to sit in a treehouse and watch out for anything suspicious (and sometimes edible) approaching the campsite.

Johnson was sent with the local muscle on clearance patrols on the outskirts of the campsite to make sure their perimeter was secure.

Needless to say, things were really looking up.

The tent door flapped like a flag in the strong wind. A gigantic and menacing cloud was behind it, dominating the sky with its impressive size. It rumbled like a hungry god as it approached the campsite.

Glaster walked out of his tent and put a steel cup to his lips.

"I really hope it holds off." He said as he lowered the steaming cup. "I really do."

He walked back inside without another word.

Pyrrha shuffled from her proned position and looked to the sky.

She looked like a new person. Her build was back entirely and she was as clean as a whistle. She wore a set of new jeans she had made herself that hugged her slender legs and a black leather jacket that was given to her by Leanne. Underneath that she had a black singlet and two leather gloves to match. She tried to hide her arm as best she could. Glaster, of course, knew all about her condition. He knew everything and he had advised her to hide it, although it really went without saying.

Pyrrha's hair blew in the wind. It made her smile to feel the wind rushing on her face, but she held both her hands to her head to make sure her hair didn't fly upwards. She had two spiky-shaped scars on each of her temples when she had tried to opt out a long time ago. She also had large scars in her abdomen from when she had stabbed herself and all sorts. Needless to say, she was covered in scars and she didn't want anyone to see them.