Chapter 17

Gus and I ended up in a fancy restaurant while he was still on his trip. I was tense, scared, and worried that he would do something and get us kicked out. Earlier, I had fought with him and convinced him that he had to wear a shirt in public. Wicca and I forced a somewhat nice looking one over his head and he cried. Don't do drugs, kids. The shirt, of course, had a stain on it. It's Gustav, what can you expect? The dressing duo decided to let it slide. Wicca had practically pushed me through the walls of our apartment to make us leave. Sometimes he forces me to wonder whether or not he truly hates me with a passion.

"Gus, use your fork." I reminded as he clawed at the meat on his pearly white plate. It was drizzled with sauce that had a tint of red. His fingertips were now covered in it and it looked like he had just murdered some unfortunate soul. "Gustav." I said harsher.

"Oh...sorry." He apologized, not looking up at me, and picked up the spoon beside the utensil I hinted to. With a smirk, I rolled my eyes and let him figure it out himself that even a knife would be better than a spoon. "So how have you been?" He asked genuinely, still trying to cut his steak with the spoon.

"I've been well I guess. What about you, baby?"

"Eh." He grunted and a piece finally released itself to him, detaching from its host. He shoved it into his mouth.

"What do you mean?" I cocked my head slightly to the side.

"I'm sad." He finally looked up into my eyes and something in my heart shattered. His eyes were hollow and didn't have the sparkle that they once contained. 

"Is there any specific reason?" I reached out and grasped his hand which rested on a napkin in front of us.

"I don't know." He shook his head. "I just need more pills."

"No, no, baby. You don't." I cracked a hopeful, reassuring smile. "You can get through this all by yourself."

"But I can't, Clea." He pulled his hand back to himself from under my palm and ran it through his overgrown roots. A tear escaped from the corner of his eyelids and I felt helpless. I can't do anything to save him. Nobody can but himself. There's the problem.

"How can we help?" He shook his head again.

"No idea. Years of therapy didn't help so I quit. Just be here for me when I need you most." I could tell the drugs were wearing off and leaving his system. Gustav was sloping back down through a low.

"I love you and I'm always here." I told him, making a promise to him that I will never break. "You're my Saturn."

"What's so special about the planet Saturn?" He queried.

"Because, in my opinion, it's the most intriguing and angelic of everything in our solar system. It's my favorite. You're my favorite, Gussie-poo-bear." He finally smiled.

"I love you too, ma." He picked up the fork and cut a piece. He's the lil love of my life.

"Where do you want to go after this?"

"We're doing more stuff after this?"

"Duh." I chuckled. "Wicca gave us money, we have to blow it all."

"Strip club."

"Gustav!"

"Sorry." He smirked. "Private show?"

"We'll see." I rolled my eyes at the joke. We are us again, at last. The bill arrived and we slapped a hundred on the table. The server's eyes grew wide. Yes, we're rich and famous, bitch. "So, where are we going, kiddo?"

"I have the perfect place." Seven minutes later we were in the car and he was behind the wheel. He refused to tell me where he was going to take me but I didn't mind, I trust him. We began driving out of the city and turned on a dirt road that winded into a dense forest. Oh great, he's finally going to dispose of me. The scene around us was trees. No lights, no routes of escape, lovely.