Chapter 21

We pulled up to the front of Mr. Langston’s house and saw it was already packed. I watched as men collect cars as they drove up and knew it was one of those parties. We’re people competed over who was richer and who had more of a high social class. Chres drove up and as soon as he got out of the car I grabbed his hand and pulled him closer so I could whisper in his ear.

“We don’t have to stay long at all.” He gave me a knowing look and a smile before leading me to the front door that was already sitting open for guest. I immediately spotted Mr. Langston talking to Alexis and I diverted our path to avoid them at all cost. I was not in the mood to hear Alexis’s smart mouth.
“Wine?” A waiter appeared in front of me and I almost accepted until I felt Chres tug on my arm. I politely declined the offer and gave Chres a thankful look. I wasn’t allowed to drink legally and if my boss saw me with alcohol who knows what he might think. I looked around and saw some people from the office but other than that all I saw was snooty looking people with glasses of wine, talking about who knows what.

“I have to use the restroom. I’ll be right back. Stay out of trouble.” I scolded Chres and he laughed kissing the top of my head.

“I’ll try to be good.” I kissed him on his cheek and headed to find the nearest bathroom but before I could find one, I felt a hand on my arm. It startled me at first but I quickly recognized the owner of the hand by the bright green eyes the owner had.

“Hey Sam. How’s the party?” Sam gave me a smile and handed me a glass of wine. I knew I couldn't drink but I accepted it politely and just held it in my hand. He put his free hand in his pocket and looking around, assessing the party.

“It’s pretty boring but better now that I have found you. You will find a way to make this fun.” He motioned with his hand around the room and I smiled. I took one small sip of the wine and was surprised at how sweet and crisp it tasted.

“Are you saying that you enjoy laughing at me?” I pretended to be hurt by his comment and he laughed, his deep baritone bouncing off the walls.

“You could say that.” I laughed and again realized why I had left Chres in the first place. I quickly excused myself and headed to the bathroom, ignoring all of the glares coming in my direction. Apparently my choice of dress didn’t appeal to these people. I closed and locked the door and looked in the mirror. I would give anything to be at any other party right now. I’m not used to all of the fancy decorations and stand offish people around me. Even though I wanted to I couldn’t hide away forever and eventually left the bathroom. I looked around and couldn’t find Chres anywhere in the room. I let out a sigh and decided I would have to fend for myself until he turned up. I was walking around looking at pictures when I heard my Mr. Langston calling my name from the other side of the room. I put on a fake smile and slowly made my way over to his direction.

“Hello Destiny. I’ve been looking for you. Are you enjoying the party?” Mr. Langston shook my hand and wrapped his arm around a older woman, who I assumed was his wife. She looked nice enough and not so stuck up like the rest of the people.

“I’m having an amazing time. What are you celebrating exactly?” I was still curious as to why he was throwing a party. He doesn’t seem like he would just throw a party just to have one but you can’t judge a book by it’s cover.

“I closed the deal with Moore. I thought that deserved a celebration considering how much of an arrogant bastard he is.” I smiled at his choice of words but was confused on what he said. We still hadn’t decided on a design and we hadn’t budgeted anything yet.

“But sir we haven’t finished any of the designs.” I wasn’t trying to be a party pooper but that was a big thing to just over look. He quickly just brushed it off like it was the smallest thing in the world.