Chapter 1: Blessed With A Curse

Edited chapter
***
Is it a blessing that I can hear everyone's deepest thoughts? No, it is a curse.

How did I end up this way?

It all started when I was young.

My parents were never in good terms. They always ended up hurting each other. My father was a drug addict while my mother was emotionally unstable. Both of them were too occupied by their own demons that they ended up disregarding me.

At the age of eight, I saw my mother lying on the bathroom floor. I tried to wake her up because I assumed that she fell asleep but it turned out that she killed herself by over dosing her medications.

After my mother's death, my father was sentenced to prison after proven guilty of raping an innocent girl. The news circulated around town and I became an orphan.

I had no family member to claim me as their own. I was sent to the orphanage and during my stay, I avoided everyone. When all of the kids were playing outside, I was at the corner of the room.

I always covered my ears when someone tried to befriend me. I seldom hugged myself and wished that someone can end my life. I was and will never be loved. So, why should I live?

Despite all my flaws, I got adopted.

The married couple insisted to adopt me. Somehow, they gave me hope that I can be a normal child. As I was about to embrace life and my adopted parents, I was blessed with a curse.

***

Ten years has passed since my mother's death and my father's crime.

Can I still hear other people's thoughts? Yes.

"So, what are your plans after high school?" Stella asked. She's my adopted mother and a successful surgeon.

"I haven't thought about it." I said. Today is the first day of senior year.

While everyone already what they want to be, I still don't know what direction to follow.

"You should know that your mother and I will always support you no matter what choice you'll make." Dan said. He's my adopted father and a well-known real estate agent.

I know that they want what's best for me but I couldn't help but hear their thoughts. They both want me to follow their careers.

"Steph-"

"Stella, my name is Raven." I cut her off. I used to be Raven Grayson, daughter of Melissa and Alas Grayson but when they adopted me, they decided to change my name to Raven Stephanie Stone.

I always hated my second name but they insisted on using it.

"You are Stephanie." Stella grabbed my hand. "You are my daughter."

I took a deep sigh. I can hear their thoughts involuntarily and I am aware that raising me isn't easy but I never heard them complain. They still think of me as an answered prayer.

"And you are my mom." I forced a smiled at her.

"Now, let's take you to school before you decide to ditch it." Dan said.

***
I have witnessed a lot of typical dramas for the past three years of my high school life. Today is a typical situation wherein friends who haven't seen each other during summer break gathered in the middle of the corridor while the popular (untouchable) ones are at the corner looking for someone to humiliate.

I've heard a lot of thoughts already. The guy with a pony tail is thinking on how she can get her crush's attention while the boy with the curly hair is thinking how to not be a loser.