Chapter 3: Modern Day Hero

Edited chapter

***

I decided to skip school today.

I am at the public library. I tried to pretend that I read a book but I was just really trying to get some sleep but I couldn't.

The thought of Sebastian wanting me as his friend made me panicked. After he asked me to be his friend, I couldn't sleep. I kept on wondering his true intentions. I got furious that his thoughts are the only thought that I couldn't hear. Should I really give my trust on him?

My phoned ringed and I looked at the caller ID. It's Stella.

She wanted me to visit her at the hospital because something urgent happened. I haven't seen her for a while now. Stella couldn't come home because she had to monitor her patient's vital sign.

I went inside Stella's office. She was talking to her colleagues whom I have met before but I avoided socializing with. They greeted me a 'good afternoon' and I greeted back.

Her colleagues' thoughts were about Stella as a good person. They admired her for adopting me but at the same time, they felt bad. Due to some complications on her ovaries, Stella decided to remove it while Dan is infertile.

"What's the urgent thing that you want to talk about, Stella?" I asked.

"Oh...It's urgent alright." She said. She and her colleagues looked at me with a grin plastered on their faces. What are they up to? Their thoughts are getting loud in my mind. My eyes widened when I heard their thought...You have got to be kidding me.

"No." I snapped. "Whatever you guys are thinking about, it's a no."

"But dear...it's a good opportunity for you. It'll give you a chance to gain confidence." Stella said.

"No." I protested. "I don't want to attract people's attention."

Can you even imagine if I joined the pageant? What if they introduced me as Raven Grayson, the criminal's daughter? How would my adopted parents feel about it? It would break their heart.

"Don't be so hard on yourself." Stella grabbed my hand. She squeezed it gently.

"I still don't want to join, Stella." I said.

"How about you do it for the cancer patients? It's a pageant for a cause."

I didn't know about that. I thought it was a pageant for vanity and unrealistic ideals of a woman's physical appearance.

"Your mom is the one who planned the event." Amelia said. She's one of Stella's colleagues. "As her daughter, you should join."

"I'll think about."  I said.

"I hope you'll consider it through." Stella said. I can never see myself standing in front of an audience especially when I can hear their thoughts.

I went out from her office. I needed to reevaluate my decision. A part of me wanted to join since it is a pageant for a cause.

I went to the hospital's garden. I sat at the bench as I stared blankly at the green plants. I needed to distance myself from other people's thoughts.

The pageant is too much of a headache to think about.

"What a surprise...my top student is here."

"Hi...Mr. Anderson..." I shyly said. I stood up and straightened my posture. Why am I always in an awkward situation? I didn't even greet him properly. "How...are you?"

I recalled the time I confronted him. I thought I made the situation worse.

"You don't socialize, don't you?" He raised his eyebrow at me and I nodded. "You weren't in my class a while ago. Care to explain why?"