Chapter 6: Art Tells A Story

This is an edited chapter

***

I don't like crowded places and as much as possible, I want to avoid it. Quiet places has always been my safe haven but there are times that I have to be a part of the crowd even if it means that I'll get to hear their thoughts.

Today is Stella's day off and she decided to spend her free time with me. We don't usually bond but she thought that finding a gown for me to wear for the pageant is the best excuse to spend time with me. I wanted to decline her but when I saw the excitement in her eyes; I couldn't dare to say no.

"Isn't this beautiful? It'll be perfect for you." Stella said. I looked at myself in the mirror and I am horrified by the fact that the gown exposed my cleavage.

"It's too revealing, Stella." I complained. The gown has a cowl neckline with an unbreathable corset and a slit that might or might not expose my underwear.

I wanted to wear a gown that is comfortable and it'll make me feel that it's an extension of me but Stella had other ideas.

"How about that gown...?" I pointed out the black suede gown. It does not expose cleavage and other body parts. Stella looked at it with a disapproving look.

  "Isn't it too early for Halloween, Steph?" Stella said. "Let me remind you that you're participating on a pageant and not a Halloween party."

"I really don't want to wear the gowns you chose for me." I protested. I am still wearing the unbreathable gown and my hatred for it grows every minute.

"Oh boy..." Stella muttered. Her phone ringed and she answered it without hesitation. I understand that her co-workers still bother her during her day-offs because after all, she's the head surgeon.

After a minute, she hanged up.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"There's an emergency operation and as the head surgeon, I have to be there." Stella explained. I held her hand and squeezed it lightly. I smiled at her as an assurance that I'll be alright while she leaves for work.

"Can you make it up for me on your next day-off?" I asked. Stella's eyes glimmered when I mentioned that there will be another mother-daughter bonding between us.

"I'll look forward for it." Stella smiled. She took out her debit card on her wallet and she handed it over to me. "Look for a gown that you like but please, Steph...don't choose a gown that will terrify the judges."

"I make no promises." I chuckled.

"I'll see you at home." Stella said.

I roamed around the mall looking for a gown that I can see myself wearing it and at the same time, it'll please Stella too. But to my dismay, I haven't seen a gown yet that both Stella and I will like.

The usual gowns that are displayed at the stores are either slutty or sluttier. I saw some gowns that I like but it feels like I'm attending a funeral instead of a pageant.

I sat at the wishing mountain as my feet starts to ache from all the walking.

Who knew looking for a gown can be hard?

"Well, you look glum." I looked up and I saw Sir Anderson standing in front of me with a smile plastered on his face.

"Uh...hi?" I awkwardly said. Why do I always bump into him outside school?

"So, do you want to tell me why you're glum?" He asked.

"It's kind of embarrassing." I said. He looked so intrigued and it made it hard for me to not open up. "I haven't chosen a gown to wear for pageant night."