Chapter 26: Prom Preparation

The silence inside my father's hospital room is depressing as ever. It has been three days since the stabbing incident and my father is still in coma. Will he ever wake up? I took a deep sigh. I should stop thinking about negative thoughts and besides, it has only been three days.

By time to time, I still feel uneasy by the fact that Sean and I are in the same building. I should feel safe but I don't. I know a police officer is watching over him while he's still recovering his wounds but why do I feel like I shouldn't put my guard down just yet? Or maybe... I'm just over thinking things like I always do.

Mom went inside the room with a cup of coffee.

"This coffee is for you, Raven." Mom handed me the cup of coffee and she sat beside me. "I made it by myself you know. I used the coffee maker in our lounge."

"Thanks Mom." I took a sip of the coffee and it feels good. I always like my coffee black.

"You should go home, Raven. I'll watch over your father for you."

"Don't you have work to do, Mom?" I asked.

"It's actually my day off." Mom said. "I really want you to get some rest at home because if I'm not mistaken, prom night is fast approaching."

"Yeah... Claire has been bugging me to go out with her. She wants us to treat ourselves before prom night." I said. Claire wouldn't accept no for an answer so I am obliged to go out with her.

"Well you better go home now, take a good sleep and then go out with Claire. I'm sure Sebastian wouldn't mind that you're spending a day with Claire." Mom said.

"Yeah he's fine with him. Sebastian will most likely spend his day playing video games." I actually recently found out that Sebastian likes to play classic video games such as Super Mario. I find it ironic how I know about his past and yet, I don't know much about his likes and interests but that's okay. We have plenty of time to know one another.

"Boys... am I right?" Mom said. We both laughed and enjoyed each other's company while drinking our coffee. Moments like this make me value my Mom more.

***

Claire honked her car and I hurriedly went down from my room. I went out the house and I saw her impatiently waiting for me inside her car. She rolled down her window and she smiled at me.

"Your Grab driver has arrived." Claire jokingly said.

I went inside her car and I sat on the passenger seat.

"So, where are we going first?" I asked.

"We're going to get our nails done" Claire said. "And Raven, don't choose black as your nail color."

"Fine." I sighed.

Claire and I went inside her favorite salon. An Asian woman approached us and she greeted the both of us.

"Ah, my favorite customer is here and she brought a friend." She looked at me and I felt shy. This place isn't really my thing. "My name is Jan Di."

"Raven." I said. She stretched her arms and we both shake hands.

"So what can I do for you two?" Jan Di asked.

"Prom is fast approaching and I want our hair and nails done." Claire said. She grabbed my hand and she showed it to Jan Di. "Make sure she doesn't choose black or any dark color as her nail color."

Remember when I told myself that seeing Sebastian trying out suits for prom is therapeutic? Well, I might have overreacted because this treating ourselves thing is the real deal because this is really therapeutic. I didn't know that I'd love it.