Chapter 8: Losers And Winners

After this day, the nervousness will all be gone. I want this day to immediately pass by. If some are excited about this day to came, I hoped this day just pause for a second because I feel like I couldn't catch up. This is just happening too fast.

Selena and I are in the backstage. She's doing my make-up and hair. I'm still amazed that she has more idea of how to be a girl than me and she's just eleven. She's telling me to think positive and she believes in me that I can win but I still have doubt especially looking at these girls in here who are filled with confident.

Samantha greeted Selena but ignored me like I wasn't here. Selena faked a smile at her for the sake of respect to the older one.

"I never like that girl." She said while fixing my hair. "She's just too plastic and if ever my brother dates her, I'll be the first to bring their relationship down."

"Speaking of your brother, where is he?" I haven't seen him yet and the other escorts are around already. It's making me furious that out of all the days he decided to be tardy, why now? He knows how this pageant is important to me.

"He'll be here soon. Maybe he's still having a hard time fixing his own tie."

"But the show is about to start." I'm feeling a bit shaky and I couldn't relax my mind without seeing Sebastian. He knows I can't do this without him. I should trust a little bit of myself. Doubting myself won't do any good. I know I can do this.

"Don't worry about him." She hissed. "It's time for you to change." She grabbed my gown and gave it to me. I just hope Sebastian shows up on time.

I went to the dressing room and unzip the cover of my gown. When I opened it, I was filled with surprised and anger. Why didn't I expect this to happen? How could someone do this?

I storm out of the dressing room and Samantha blocked my way. She looks at the gown and smirked. She then raises her eyebrow at me. She's all fixed up and ready for the pageant.

"You did this, didn't you?" I said in a very calm way. I should not show that I'm affected or else she'll win this round. The beautiful gown that I adored is now ruined. It's filled with red paint and chicken feathers all over it.

"Like I said, I'll do anything to bring you down." I looked at her in disbelief. She's not even denying it! She's freaking proud of what she did. Now tell me, how can this be a fair fight now?

"This is a cheap move from a girl like you." I move an inch closer to her and she stepped an inch backward. "I'm very disappointed."

I walked away and approached Selena who heard and saw everything. Just like me, she's really pissed off at Samantha. She saw the gown before it got ruined and she loved it. Now what am I going to wear tonight? It's the only gown I have and I don't have any time to look for a new one.

"Samantha has an extra gown. We can steal it from her."

Even if my dad is a criminal, he never taught me to steal. I've seen him steal before but I wasn't intimidated to follow his footsteps. Stealing is bad even in desperate times it's still bad. "If we steal, we're no different from Samantha. Let's shove it in her face that we're not like her."

"But Cecilia..." She also knows Cecilia and she even visited her at the hospital. The both of them even talked about all the Barbie movies.

"I will win this pageant and she'll have the money for her chemotherapy." I tousled her hair and gave her a reassuring smile. "Have a little trust in me, okay?"

Selena suddenly hugs me tight and thinks of me as a good role model. She thinks I'm someone that she can look up to. Her thought it's the only thought that matters to me right now. She's starting to be like a sister to me.